• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dropping drive shaft, anything to check while off

oliv3rcle

Dropping my drive shaft for the first time to replace with a new to me unused Tom Woods shaft. Anything to check while its off?

ransil

Bronco Guru
Don't drop it on your face.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
Check for cracks in the yokes as well, especially around the bolt holes.

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
Remove all rust/contamination from the mounting surfaces. Do not over-tighten the fasteners. After hanging one end, check that the unattached end of the shaft can move substantially above & below its yoke without binding, and that the slip splines have substantially more travel than required to bolt up. If there is a CV, it goes at the t-case end, and the pinion should point at the t-case. If there's not, the pinion should be parallel to the t-case.

For more, read this caption:

(phone app link)

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
BLOCK THE TIRES. A few years back a friend went to change his u-joints on a lifted f-250. This is a guy that knows better and had a brain fart. He spent a few days in the hospital with broken ribs and internal stuff for that one.

OP
OP
O

oliv3rcle

Thanks for the replies especially the safety ones, got it down smoothly, and had the wheels well blocked. Took a spin around the block in fwd and highly hopeful the new driveshaft will correct the shuttering issues I noticed.

Checked out the yokes, the rear looks good but the transfer case has a crack starting. Looks like a new rear transfer case yoke should be on order. Seems also like recommended to change the seal while its off and I can do so without draining the fluid. Or...change the fluid while doing this so I know I'm fresh, I'll probably lean towards that.

Collecting threads on the change out, but appreciate any tips, especially pictures.

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
you sure it's the yoke that's cracked and not the cover?
got pics;D

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
yeah I would replace the yoke and seal, seal is cheap insurance