• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Duff D44 Knuckle - Wilwood Brakes

BroncoMZ

Has anyone installed Wilwood (140-13305) brake kit on the Duff D44 Knuckles. Having some interference issues between knuckle and caliper bracket.

The knuckle area which interferes with caliper bracket has plenty of "meat" to grind away. Wondering if those who have done this installation chose to grind the knuckle or modify the caliper bracket.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
This is just a guess on my part, but I would bet that the Wilwood brakes are based around a Chevy design like most aftermarket parts, and the Chevy/Ford hybrid disc brake conversion needs the knuckle ground for clearance.
Nothing unusual, bolt on is more of a hope than a reality.
The only parts for our Broncos that usually do just bolt together are Ford OEM parts to Ford OEM parts.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
You can get the Wilwood for the Ford knuckles.

The Duff knuckles are not Ford knuckles. They are there own casting. At this point I am willing to bet you are the first person to put the Wilwood brakes on Duff knuckles. More than likely you will have to figure this out yourself. Probably worth getting on the tech line with Wilwood, and maybe Duff. I doubt they will much info, I don't think they have ever worked together before. In the end I am going to bet you just need to clearance the knuckle like you are thinking about. You say there is plenty of meat in there. I wouldn't be afraid at this point.

The joys of mixing different aftermarket parts. They often don't go together without a little messaging.

68ford

Bronco Guru
I installed the 15in wheel kit onto a drum brake d44 out of a early 70s f100. No issues it bolted right up. spindles are 6 mount bolt type.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Y
The Duff knuckles are not Ford knuckles. They are there own casting. At this point I am willing to bet you are the first person to put the Wilwood brakes on Duff knuckles. More than likely you will have to figure this out yourself. Probably worth getting on the tech line with Wilwood, and maybe Duff. I doubt they will much info, I don't think they have ever worked together before. In the end I am going to bet you just need to clearance the knuckle like you are thinking about. You say there is plenty of meat in there. I wouldn't be afraid at this point.

The joys of mixing different aftermarket parts. They often don't go together without a little messaging.

The Duff knuckles are a copy of the late '70s Ford F150 Super Cab knuckles, but in even better metal. The only other change is the 3/4 inch hole instead of a tapered hole in the steering arm.

OP
OP
BroncoMZ

BroncoMZ

Read and looked at what others had done and decided to remove about 1/32" material from knuckle.

Attachments

• Knuckle2.jpg
    Knuckle2.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 83
  • Knuckle3.jpg
    Knuckle3.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 84
  • Knuckle5.jpg
    Knuckle5.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 81
  • Knuckle6.jpg
    Knuckle6.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 79

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Glad that worked for you MZ. Great looking setup!
The Duff knuckles are very nice. As said though, they're not exactly like the '76/'77 knuckles that your kit is designed for.
But you got it. Tiny bit of grinding and you're looking good to go.

Just make sure (if you haven't already) that the fit of the bracket is nice and easy, and not pushing up hard against any of the surfaces that might skew the caliper even slightly.

And I still have a worry about the caliper fitting the rotor.
Not for sure of course (because we've never tested them with that setup either) but because if it's based enough on the Super Cab knuckle, there could be an issue because the standard full-size truck and Bronco knuckles are enough different that some of the Wilwood kits are not compatible.

Crossing fingers and hoping this is not the case for you.:p

This is just a guess on my part, but I would bet that the Wilwood brakes are based around a Chevy design like most aftermarket parts...

I hear that! Still the way of the Auto world.
But at least in this case the 140-13305 Wilwood kit that he mentioned is in fact for the '76/'77 Bronco knuckle and should be as bolt-n-go as any aftermarket part to an OE part as we're likely to find.
Because of that it does not even fit the '76-'79 full size truck knuckle if I'm not mistaken. I remember a customer having trouble with his because it turned out his Ford disc setup was from a full-size and nothing fit quite right.

So not surprising it didn't fit the Duff unit exactly in this case. Glad it was an easy mod/fix.
So far at least...

Good luck MZ!

Paul

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Thought about going that way, just didn't want to spend the $$