• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Durable/Quality Door Mirrors

69Early

Loc.
San Ramon, CA
I am on my umteenth set of the 71-80 (?) Ford Pick Up 2/3 triangular mounted door mirrors (not 100% sure what they are called) in just over 3 years. Picked up the first pair at Whitney and the second at Napa etc etc all of which are just pressure-leverage mounted to the top bracket and continualy pop loose after about 4-6 months. Anyone know of a durable/quality after market Mfg name I can purchase a set of and possibly where. I would prefer to pay more quality than having to deal with replacing them all time not to mention the potentional damage caused when the top pops loose at 65 (now at 45) and scrathes the H-ll out of my doors! Thanks!!!!!!!!!

I see them on many Bronco's am I the only one having this problem?

mcbmg95

Loc.
Pax River, MD
I can't offer any advice, however, I wanted to say thanks for the heads up. i am looking for a set of mirrors and I will keep this in mind as I look for them.

Michael

edjolly

Loc.
Denver Colorado
If you're just sheet-metal screwing those things to your doors, the problem ain't the mirrors. They need to be mounted with NutCerts (that's what I've always heard them called). They are a flush mounted threaded insert that pops into sheet metal a little like a rivet. They're a much stronger mount than a sheet metal screw in a hole.

It wouldn't be worth buying the set to install these things just for mirrors. I'd recommend you take it to a good body shop and have your mirrors installed, or look for someone who already owns the tool.

I've run the same mirrors you're talking about for years, and never had what you're describing, though the cheap Napa ones on my truck now won't stay adjusted.

Ed

DPM77

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Seattle, Washington
Someone here on an earlier thread on this subject recommended www.grote.com. They provide mirrors for the trucking industry.

Another option might be to open up the door from the inside and use a fender washer and nylock nut on a different screw through the mirror. My oem car style mirrors got loosened by whacking branches in forest wheelin, and it was a pain in the wrist, but they are solid now. There is enough clearance in there to clear the screw end if you use the right length, and the nylock holds it tight. I found some stainless philips head screws of the right head shape, washers and nuts at my local Ace hardware(its wet here almost year round...).

Good luck,

dpm