• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dutchman 4340 Front Shafts?

EB70

I need to know if these are good shafts or not for an upcoming 44 build. I need the long side and it sounded like the 4340 was better than the 1541.

any experience with these shafts etc?

Thanks, ROB

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
I'm not certain but I think those are the same as the Warn shafts. (If my information is correct Dutchman supplies them to Warn)

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I've heard the same as Saddleup regarding Warn's 'moly shafts...but I've also heard that they source from more than one vendor.

4340 is much better material than 1541 in general and will produce superior axle shafts with proper processing and heat treatment, regardless of the manufacturer. 4340 is much more conducive to through hardening and will exhibit higher strength and toughness than 1541.

OP
OP
E

EB70

I'm doing a "let's just get this thing on the road" build for right now. I called Dutchman and they said that the 1541 was just case hardened and the 4340 was through hardened.

It does not make sense to send them a core axle, pay shipping both ways to save about $60.00 by resplining a junk axle.

He said that if I prepaid it would be around $150.00 for the long side cash and carry. That was for the 4340.

I was just wondering if there was any horror stories about their product or anything that I need to know before ordering.

Thanks for the help, ROB

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
FWIW, Dutchman Motorsports has an excellent reputation in both the racing and offroad circuits.

I would do some more research though before deciding that through hardening is better. There is an excellent article over at Pirate somewhere that describes the differences along with advantages/disadvantages. In reality all of the alloy axles pretty much came out equal with Warn fairing no better or worse than the majority. The only one with a marked difference was the Superior Evolution series which undergoes a dual treating process.