• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Early Bronco Bench Seats

'66U14

Hey guys,

Finally on the forum. I've got the '66 U14 that SpinalTap posts about.

Question: I want to restore my Bronco to factory fresh, and that includes a stock bench seat. Bronco Graveyard sells the fabric (link at bottom of page) but is the seat frame generic (as in, did they use the same frame in Broncos as they did in 60's Ford trucks, Galaxies, etc.) or did they make a new seat frame specifically for the Bronco?

http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/i-17508-front-bench-seat-1966-silver-mink.html

Thanks!

blamejane

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Wanted to say welcome to CB. I can't answer your question (sorry), but I'm sure others on here will chime in.

broncodaddy

bench seats

I've heard the seat from a falcon is the same. Not sure though. Im looking for a bench seat as well.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Bronco frame is not the same size as any of the full size trucks. It's a good six inches narrower due to the smaller size of the Bronco. I don't know about certain car bench seats being the same.

There is a member on here with the screen name Broncitis who has had EB bench seats restored. He might be a good resource for your questions.

OP
OP

'66U14

What about Falcon/Galaxie benches? Measured the cab just now and it's 56 in. wide, if that helps.

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
I am pretty sure the Bronco bench is specific to the bronco. They do have a lot of parts in common with the car benches but I think the frames are different. I have seen where people have used Mustang and Falcon seats as they are very similar but not identical.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
I've never seen a car bench in person. However, I've always assumed (and it looks like it in the pictures in the ebay listing) that the frame on the car benches must have a curve in the center of them to go over the driveline hump. The stock Bronco benches don't have any kind of curve in the center. They are flat to match the flat floor of the Bronco.

OP
OP

'66U14

If that's the only difference, I really don't mind that at all. I mean, someone would have to actually look under the seat to see that, so...As long as it fits inside the cab, it's good.

Broncitis

MEB Founder
That seat cover offerd by Jeff's in the link above looks NOTHING like an original other than it is silver.

Of course, it is only $160, and the custom upholstery from authentic materials, installed over new custom fit padding on the ones we have done (3 of them) costs about 10X that to have done.

These are the only pics I can find off hand that show the seat in my dad's 66.

I think Bronco Hut makes some better ones, but you still have to get them fit properly to the padding to make them really look good and not have loose sections or sags. I have seen some of the reproduction covers installed that look nice, some, not so much.

Attachments

• CIMG1240.jpg
    CIMG1240.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 277
  • CIMG1247.jpg
    CIMG1247.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 246
  • CIMG1255.jpg
    CIMG1255.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 395

Bluebolt

Loc.
Benton LA
Some gee whiz info from an original, in my hands right now, 1966 Ford Car Parts and Accessories Manual. For whatever reason the Bronco is in there and NOT in the 1966 Truck Parts Manual apparently.

The Trim Scheme Codes are described as "Light silver mink match stick vinyl and light silver mink crinkle vinyl"

The bench seat is referred to as "Full width seat"

Cushion Kit Front Seat (bench) C6TZ 9660050-A
Cover C6TZ 9662900 ACB

Back Kit Front Seat (bench) C6TZ 9660136-A
Cover C6TZ 9664416 ACB

Left seat track C6TZ 9661704-A
Right seat track C6TZ 9661705-A

clarrance

Bronco Guru
What was the difference in material and colors of the 67 and up? What year did they stop making the bench seat? Was it 72 when they stopped making the 1/2 cab?

Broncitis

MEB Founder
What was the difference in material and colors of the 67 and up? What year did they stop making the bench seat? Was it 72 when they stopped making the 1/2 cab?

67 is light parchment like we did in my Mom's U14.

The upholtery guy we use who does lots of high end restorations originaly did another seat frame we took him for the '67 in more of a tan color (medium parchment?). His books showed it to be the correct material, but we could not find any evidence it was correct for '67, so we had him do another frame in the light parchment. I think the darker color was '68 or later.

I actually liked the tan color better and thought it looked great against the blue on our '67, but we wanted it factory correct since we tried so hard on the rest of it.

I do not have any pics of the current correct light parchment seat. Here are a couple during the build when we had the medium parchment set in place.

We also now have molds and can make the hard to find bench set hinge covers. The one in the pic is one my dad made.

This seat is avilable for sale and includes the color matched hinge covers and early style arm rests. We can deliver it to The upcoming Super Celebration, Carlisle All-Ford, All-Tuck, MEB Roundup, or possibly BroncoRama that I plan to also attend.

The price is $1400 which was just the cost from the upholtery shop for the labor and materials (not the original seat frame we restored, hinge covers or arm rests). It has never been bolted in.

Attachments

• CIMG9838.jpg
    CIMG9838.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 164
  • CIMG9836.jpg
    CIMG9836.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 146

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
We also now have molds and can make the hard to find bench set hinge covers. The one in the pic is one my dad made.

I have a set of originals but they look like crap. How much you getting for a set? What colors? Are they paintable/dyable?

Tim

ford man

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Leesburg Ga
The first is Broncitis 66 u13.The 2nd is a bronco that was at super celebration 2years ago and I believe it to be an original seat and I am not sure what year but I thought it to be a 67 it was a very nice and very original truck.The 3rd is the same as the 2nd one just close up.The 4th is a 68 I used to own but now is in fordfan's stable it to was original as far as I could tell. THE 2ND PIC IS A 68 OR 69 NOT A 67 sorry just went back and looked.

Attachments

• DSC02425.jpg
    DSC02425.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 151
  • DSC02336.jpg
    DSC02336.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 125
  • DSC02335.jpg
    DSC02335.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 152
  • DSC02331.jpg
    DSC02331.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:

ford man

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Leesburg Ga
Here is one I had done and Melissa at bronco hut did the cover I did make one mistake on this one but I am just going to live with it the original one's the piping on the bottom front just came about 10" then turned down and mine goes all the way across.The pic are not real good the camera had a hard time focusing on the pattern. I to would like to know{like clarrance posted} what was the last year for the bench seat.

Attachments

• 176.jpg
    176.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 117
  • 021.jpg
    021.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 93
  • 018.jpg
    018.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 112
  • 022.jpg
    022.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 105

Broncitis

MEB Founder
I have a set of originals but they look like crap. How much you getting for a set? What colors? Are they paintable/dyable?

Tim

We still have to work out the pricing on them. I just sent an email to my dad with what I think is a fair price for them based on the cost he has in the molds and the time it takes, but I need him to give his OK before I post it since it is his money and time into this so far.

They are resin cast and are an ivory white color which can be painted with SEM or other vinyl and plastic trim spray. That is how we did the ones in the photo.

The specific resin we are using is what was recomended by the manufacturer for this application. They should be plenty durable for their intended use, but they are not an indestuctible thermo plastic and should not have the screws over tightened or handled too roughly.

Broncitis

MEB Founder
Here's some pics of the second bench we had done for my mom's '67 U14.

Parchment with silver insert.

The same guy who did the other two did these and also did and authentic reproduction of the original FoMoCo soft top on my dad's '66 U13 (patterened off an NOS top still in the box that we borrowed from a friend) as well as the interior for a 77 Ranger we used to have as well as several other EB's from people we have refered to him. He is not cheap, but his work is top notch.

Attachments

• NCM_1217[1].jpg
    NCM_1217[1].jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 107
  • NCM_1218[1].jpg
    NCM_1218[1].jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 81
  • NCM_1220[1].jpg
    NCM_1220[1].jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 75
  • NCM_1221[1].jpg
    NCM_1221[1].jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:

bulletpruf

Contributor
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
Bench seats never came with headrests, did they? I have one sitting in a '68 that I just picked up, but it has headrests.