• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Early Bronco Power Brake System

incogneato

Loc.
South Bay
Full disclaimer: I'm (borderline) complete noob.

Next weekend I'm embarking on a major journey. I'm going to install a power brake assembly - myself (mostly).

However, I've been looking around, and I can't tell my a** from my elbow as far as what's right for my truck ('73 EB - 302 block).

My question: what the heck is a power-brake booster and what does it do, specifically?

That said, are these the same (below)? If not, what's the difference?

a) http://www.ebay.com/itm/350711093401 ("Power Brake Kit" - $329)
b) http://www.ebay.com/itm/251297623827 ("Power Brake Booster" - $250)

Last edited:
OP
OP
I

incogneato

Loc.
South Bay
In case anyone's curious - here's my current setup:

bjUbgpu.jpg

I2fNGPU.jpg

iR70rSw.jpg

rhino2104

I'd be tempted to get the first kit from Tom's since they are a great vendor and it is a complete kit to convert you to power brakes. Yes it is more expensive but a lot can be said for having known working new parts on a vital system such as brakes. Also, if you have any questions along the install Tom's has awesome customer service. You can find the kit here.

rhino2104

And the booster is what creates a vacuum on your brakes to enable to you stop faster and your brakes to grip harder. It's what gives you power brakes in the first place.

cactushorse

Hands down I would go with the Toms Bronco kit. You will get quality stuff and plenty of help from them. It also looks as if their kit is more complete by having brake lines.

badmuttstang

redneck grease monkey
I say toms as well but will clarify the booster converts vacuum from the intake manifold to braking force.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The "booster" is the round gold can looking thingy in both of those links. In the second link, it's specifically pic number four. And as the others said, it's what give the name to "power" brakes. Or more appropriately, "power assisted" brakes.

Uses engine vacuum to assist your foot.

The "kits" consist of the obvious pieces. The black angle bracket to help the booster clear the engine valve cover, the booster itself, the new master cylinder with the ports facing the passenger side to compensate for the new angle on things, the new pedal rod between the pedal and cantilever in the angle bracket, and (hopefully) new lines from the master to the frame like shown in the first link. Even includes some vacuum line.

Not sure who pete53 is in the second link, but the first one is Tom's, who/which is a known commodity and, like the others said, will offer good customer service and probably have the more complete kit for that higher price.
That said, there's always the possibility that the other one has all you need for that price. Doubt it, but if you're curious you could contact them. Then piece together anything you need additionally. At additional cost to you of course. (edit: I see Pete's a shop and does offer the other stuff at that additional cost)

What "South Bay" region are you in by the way?

Paul

Last edited:

jdbronco

Loc.
Panama City Beach
I put a Tom's kit on my '66 and it was easy and truly bolt on. I remember having a question but I don't remember what it was but the folks at Tom's helped answer it quickly.

Just don't forget to bench bleed it and bleed all the lines afterwards. Judging by all the rust on those you probably need some fresh fluid all the way through anyways.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
All the eb vendors sell a complete kit. They are all great. Each with their own merits.
You just had one of the vendors giving you some sage advice above. Dirtdonk or Paul at Wildhorses.
Check them out. Good brakes on an eb is really a game changer for these old steeds.
Good luck!

rockcrawler74

Spoken form an Ebay deal gone bad, RUN LIKE HELL from Pete's muscle car. He has good feed back but I had to file a claim with Ebay to get my parts. He was cranky to work with and parts took FOREVER to ship.

Tom's is more money but they are true bronco people and will get your parts shipped in a timely manner.

Last edited:

rhino2104

I have ordered from Tom's several times and I can say that their shipping has always been great. I don't think that I've ever had an order wait more than 24 hours to ship and most of them took less than a week to get to me through basic ground shipping.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Pete's kit is for front disc brakes you dont want it if your keeping your drums all around. That is if you still have drums up front. Since your truck has been modifyed best to check. this kit doesnt give you new brake lines which you will need.

Tom's kit looks to be complete but it asks you to specify what brakes you have so you get the right master cylinder for the brakes your truck has.

If you dont know what brakes you have up front take a picture from under the truck aimed behind the front wheel or better yet remove the front tire assembly and take a picture, someone here will be able to identify what you have.

Teal68

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Inlet Beach
Also, Tom's appears to have the master cylinder to proportioning (or distribution) block lines.

OP
OP
I

incogneato

Loc.
South Bay
Good deal. Went with tom's ebay auction. Apparently I have four drum brakes btw. Bummer - thought I had two discs in the front.

rhino2104

Drum brakes will stop you well enough, especially once you add the power brake conversion to them.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Mine always worked well and had good balance, but I'm convinced it was only because I was fiddling with them literally every other weekend to keep them perfectly adjusted and well maintained.
They didn't like water of course, but power was decent enough under normal circumstances. Even without power assist.

But the first time I had them fade catastrophically (almost literally!) on me was the last weekend drums were on my truck.
Went disc front and never looked back. Still on the top of the list of best mods in my opinion.

Paul