• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

EDIS with roller cam- anybody using a 3.8 cam sensor in their 5.8/stroker?

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Trying to go EDIS and using a 3.8cam sensor w/bushing to fit in my 5.8 stroker. Drive gear needs to be compatible with a roller cam... stumbling block without going totally custom, which is not my goal...

Any ideas? thanks

AEM offers an aftermarket fix but will they be around in 5-10 years if I need another AND they are $pendy at best

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
3.8 and 4.2 had roller cams. I just went with the stock 3.8/4.2 synchronizer gear. Haven't started it yet though. Will shortly.

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Thanks for the confirmation!

A fellow Bronco buddy here did me a favor and looked at a replacement Dorman gear he bought and it's definitely steel, not cast. The gear I took off the 3.8 I have here is definitely cast so that's why I was wondering. I'm going to press on a stock "steel", not cast gear and call it good.

Thanks Viperwolf1

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
3 weeks is my projected date since I won't be working on it for one of them. I'm also installing SEFI...

Good luck, keep us posted OK? I want to hear how it goes for you. You using Exploder EDIS and HB w/trigger?....with Moates or ? Thanks, I'm on a steep learning curve and enjoying it...

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
No problem. Using all '98 explorer parts except the synchronizer. Harness and ECM modified by EFIguy.

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
I love EDIS! I pulled a Explorer 5.0 cam sync and put it in my 90's era 5.0 roller engine. I am not using SEFI just batch fire so it is only driving the oil pump. SEFI on my next project if it makes more than 350 HP / big camshaft otherwise I do no think there is an advantage. Just remember to use shielded wire on the pick up wire for the sensor.

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Thanks for the info pcf.... I'm making tons of HP so I'm really hoping this will pull the last ounce of power from this motor until it is no longer normally aspirated... then even more... : )

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
Oh snap! I just read your sig - you need a hot spark to get the most from that kind of HP level. Plus it is nicer to drive around if it does not foul plugs etc. I have a friend with EDIS on his 240Z and he turns it to 8,000 rpm no hiccups. Go boost I can't wait to see that thread.

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What vehicle 3.8 do I need to get the cam sensor from for a roller 351?
That's the mustang and Ranger V6 right? What years and are they all roller?

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Wow, old thread!! : )

I believe it's the Windstar...I can verify tomorrow...

just verified...

Cam Sensor- 3.8 Windstar, need the 2 wire '99-01 can't use the 3 wire

Feedback...works great...no issues what-so-ever...

There's a couple outfits that make these now...do some web surfing and you'll see that the spacer bushing is available and there are aftermarket cam sensors for SBF's too.
Good luck