• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Edlebrock Pro Series Triangular Air Cleaner

coachcal

Any downside to these? Also, what should I do with the vacuum hose off the driver side valve cover that goes to the stock cleaner?

OP
OP
C

coachcal

Ok good to know. I really just want something that will clear the stock hood. What is best?

stout22

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Athens, AL
I'm not sure but that might be the one that is prone to catch on fire because it has a foam element on top of the carb.

bajabronc

Loc.
West Hollywood
If that is the triangular one with a foam element, when I had a carb back in the day I ran one and found out quickly that since it is basically a sponge, and the whole top is open, it sucks in water like crazy. I would not recommend it if you go near any water, really wet weather, mud etc. I got rid of mine after one wheeling trip and almost hydro locking my engine

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
The big triangle works great. I have mine backwards so it clears the stock throttle linkage and fuel inlet.

Attachments

• Blubuckaroo motor 3.jpg
    Blubuckaroo motor 3.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 68

BronCowie

Contributor
Old Timer
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
The big triangle works great. I have mine backwards so it clears the stock throttle linkage and fuel inlet.

Those are good and edelbrock also has a round version if you don't have a dizzy clearance issue. You'll want to get a banjo fuel inlet fitting too, and if you don't have a manual choke, you may have choke clearance issues. Here's a pic of mine with the manual choke. Note there is no riser between carb and manifold but I doubled up on gaskets, no fuel percolation issues.

Attachments

• Carb 1404f25.JPG
    Carb 1404f25.JPG
    156.2 KB · Views: 23
  • Carb 1404a25.JPG
    Carb 1404a25.JPG
    143.9 KB · Views: 24

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
You dont say what setup you are running, for the most part the stock setup will work for most setups. otherwise there are several dorp base setups that will work well and clear everything, cant really elaborate without more info.

brownb4

Loc.
Friendsville, TN
i'm having troubles finding one of these also. stock engine with no body lift. will a standard 14" offset base with 2" element clear the hood? triangle or oval better, any one particular that is working for you?

sorry to hijack...

Explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Raphine, Virginia
Most aftermarket cleaners come with a knockout in the base to hook your hose to. For a stock engine, I agree with broncnaz, stock setup is fine. Especially the ones with the cold air duct to core support.

JLBachs

i'm having troubles finding one of these also. stock engine with no body lift. will a standard 14" offset base with 2" element clear the hood? triangle or oval better, any one particular that is working for you?

sorry to hijack...

that filter would not clear for me with no body lift, but I've heard from others that had no trouble with it. Seems like it depends a lot on the condition of the body mounts.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
... don't even know why they made the damn things, posers%)

True enough for a truck, or even a normally street-driven vehicle. They were originally used (as far as I know) on drag racing street racer type setups. You know, short runs, lots of maintenance, few miles and lots of willingness to replace deteriorating filter elements. And on a show car that drives 30 miles a year, it's not a problem, unless you have tuning issues and backfire a lot or dump excess fuel into the carb.
Then you started seeing them on more and more hopped up street performance cars, and those that just wanted to look like them.
They were relatively high flowing setups, with a good transition that allowed for a pretty straight shot down into the carb with no bends or restrictions. They were small and lightweight, simple to use and maintain, and relatively cheap. Easy things for poor hot-rodders to understand back in the day.

Unfortunately, those benefits attempted to transfer (on paper only it seems) to new apps when those people and their children and avid performance magazine readers started putting them on their family Buicks, kid's hand-me-downs, and the new family truck that did lots of work and went off-roading on the weekend. Not to mention the teenage son that thought it'd be cool to put one on dad's work/ranch truck to give it more performance.
Too bad they didn't factor in the lack of fine filtration and dangers of deterioration that type of element sometimes experiences.

Motorcycles did, and still do, use fine-grain oiled foam elements to good effect. Uni has been around for 40+ years making great filters. Problem is, most truck owners don't follow the same rules as do, a conscientious dirt-bike rider, who cleans and re-oils the filter literally after every outing.
Truck owners? Not so much...

Hopefully though, Edelbrock would at least have updated the material they're using to a finer filtration porous element. The right foam can actually filter very well. You just have to clean them a lot.
But the ones I've played with in the past would have been lucky to filter out a pebble (and that was because of the steel mesh part!), much less a pound and a half of Clear Creek silt (some of you know what I'm talking about) and keep it out of the engine.

At least that first one that the OP linked to is a much better choice.

Paul