• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

EFI Conversions

RRRAAAYYY2

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Brantford, Ontario
Couple of quick questions. I deal with several Performance Mustang shops, and they seem to produce a lot of take off EFI systems. Meaning they have stock factory intake manifolds, ECM's, etc. In a lot of cases they toss or sell the stuff cheap.
So I am curious what you guys are getting charged for what. I might be able to source you all some cheap EFI conversions, and put some spare change in my account customers pocket to boot.

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
The hardest parts for me to find are the sensors and a good dizzy. If they could package the whole system together and not hack the harness up too bad, I'm sure there is a market for them.

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
raymond the prices are all over the map. most i think would like to get the intake, sensors, ecm and harness. What years are we talking about. Like in a previous thread tonight the mustang 89-93 is the one most desirable for the ecm, mass air and harness. Help us out brother.

mattt

Bronco Guru
I just picked up two computers and harnesses today at the junkyard for $75 each, $150 total for everything.

Socal Tom

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Diego, CA
A complete kit should have both manifolds, all the sensors, a harness, the ECM the dizzy a pump, some hose and some instructions. The GM based EFI kits run 1200 to $1500 US for all new parts and a custom chip. If you can package the used manifolds with new sensors a rebuilt dizzy a harness and a good used ECM for under $1000 you could probably sell quite a few. I'd also include a T for running the return back to the tank.
Tom

RadioFlyer

So, you got a complete kit I can buy?

I'd want everything from the intake up and the distributor... If you offer an after market plug in wiring harness I'd want that too...

HoosierDaddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Glad to see some interest in this post.
I've been wearing out ebays search engine here lately with the idea of efi kits burning in my head. Just checking parts availibility and cost for now.

gebraic

I would definetly be interested in a complete kit. I'm looking into doing this soon and making the conversion as easy as possible is always a plus.

OP
OP
R

RRRAAAYYY2

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Brantford, Ontario
I will try to remember to call them tomorrow. These should be common items at ford performance shops as guys will grab whole mustangs and tear out the motor and tranny, put an aftermarket EFI body on, and sell the motor. Part the car out ,etc. They normally dont need the stock EFI or wires or computers.

HoosierDaddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Sounds like you could have a great source there Rrraaayyy2. (he said with envy) :)

OP
OP
R

RRRAAAYYY2

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Brantford, Ontario
Ok, got a hold of them today, and he is going to try and put something together. I guess there are two styles, Speed Density, and Mass Air. Speed Density doesnt take kindly to you messing with cams and stuff, where as Mass Air doesnt care as much. He also said the there is a wiring harness to swap the Speed Density system upto Mass Air, the harness is like $80 and you need the Mass Air computer. I guess the S/D is a lot cheaper than the M/a because of all this. I will see what he comes up with as far as kits/pricing goes, and we can go from there. Do you need instructions, or can they be found on the Net? I was told it is a pretty easy swap.

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Ray you should just offer two kits one for SD and one for MAF. MAF should cost quite a bit more but the SD kits will run alot of stock 302 on this forum.

BEn

Socal Tom

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Diego, CA
What he said it true, Speed density will work fine on a basically stock, or mildly modified engine. Basically the computer assumes its on a stock 5.0 EFI and measures engine vacuum, RPM and Throttle position to estimate how much air is going into the engine.

Mass Air systems actually measure the air, so you can use a 5.0 mass air computer on a 351 and it will work fine up to a point.

I have seen cheaper Mass air conversion harnesses, mass-air.com sells them for 39.95
Tom

OP
OP
R

RRRAAAYYY2

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Brantford, Ontario
I figured the SD would probably work nicely for a lot of guys on here, he didnt seem to think they were hard to find, as most looking for performance gains will need the MA.
I think this is going to be one of those I wished I had done this 10 years a go. I had a good friend that did tons of strips, probably one a week for years. Most of the stuff just got tossed I think, or the majority of it anyway, kind of sad.

Daddy4zack

Loc.
El Dorado Hills
I am interested in this as well.. i think you will not have any problems finding buyers... let me know when you have one available..

Aaron

OP
OP
R

RRRAAAYYY2

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Brantford, Ontario
Just for thr record. When they get their stuff together, I will post for them, but you guys will have to deal direct with them. I know very little about EFI, so any questions and stuff would have to go to them anyway.

Basically I am trying to hook one customer up with another customer, as I think you both could use each other. If he sells lots of kits to you guys, I might make him buy me dinner sometime. Bottomline on this though, is "I" am not selling anything.

Just wanted to make that clear. This has nothing to do with the shop I have been talking with, I have known them for years and years and I trust them not to screw anyone. Hope that all makes sense. I will make money selling you and them alternators and starters.

OP
OP
R

RRRAAAYYY2

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Brantford, Ontario
At some point he is probably going to ask me about pricing. Any ranges would be great, as I think it will vary anyway. He might also be able to add proper gaskets and stuff like that. Tailor systems to each person, but a core price range would be a good start. I will lean on him to make sure he has a sharp pencil when he makes his pricing. He is good that way and understands strength in numbers so I would imagine he will price it so it is a good deal. If not I tell him to sharpen his pencil again.

mustangtoby

Bronco Guru
Loc.
southwest Colorado
I would definetly be interested in a complete kit. I'm looking into doing this soon and making the conversion as easy as possible is always a plus.

X2- don't know how soon, but I was thinking I would try to find a wreck so that I would have everything I need. A complete kit would be cool.;)

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I am interested, but I don't know if you can make a profit other than get some spare cash from extra parts they would let sit around... From what I am seeing on ebay, a 5.0 HO upper/lower intake off an 89-93 LX or cougar/T-bird goes for about $50-100, a gt-40 goes for $125, this includes fuel rails, injectors and throttle body. On Craigslist, I have seen all the above plus injector harness, vacuum plumbing, 130amp alternator and TFI dizzy go for under $200. A real cobra intake with rails, TB for about $125. Thats what I'm seeing. ECM's go for about $75-125. So if you can get everything off one car, maybe $250-300???

Last edited: