• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

EFI, Griffin rad, Explorer dress, Ron D Shroud, C4 - Anyone got this combo?

72_EB

Contributor
66to77
EFI, Griffin radiator, Explorer dress, Ron Davis shroud, C4 - Anyone got this combo?
If so , I've got a cooling question for you.

Moon's74

Loc.
Henderson, NV
I don't have EFI or a griffin rad, but I do have an exploder serp setup and a ron davis shroud with C4! My rad is a Tom's standard 4 core...not too robust in my opinion! What's your question?

OP
OP
72_EB

72_EB

Contributor
66to77
Setting up a new EFI motor and wondering about an auxiliary trans cooler. I've always ran an auxiliary on my '72 off the radiator and back into the C4 return with great results, but this is totally different setup with the EFI, aluminum rad, and Explorer serp.
Running simply of the radiator trans cooler would be a super clean setup, but not sure if it will be the C4 will be happy without the extra cooler in summer. Not sure what the computer will think of the extra cooler either.
I'd would be nice to not have to plumb into the setup lines later too. That's all.

HoosierDaddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I don't think the EFI computer will have a clue what you do to the trans fluid.

What motor ?

My personal belief would be to get any extra cooling load off the radiator in these things. If you have been using aux. trans coolers , get one good enough to stand alone , that will be less of a cooling load the radiator and coolant has to deal with.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
ECM doesn't care about trans or trans temp.

The best cooler setup I've seen, post #14: http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=180622

With the explorer alternator you'll have plenty of electrons to run a cooler fan. I agree with getting as much heat out of the radiator as possible. EB's had marginal cooling when completely stock.

BroncoinAlaska

Loc.
San Antonio, TX
EFI, BCB 5.0 radiator, Explorer dress, Ron Davis shroud, C4
Plus a derale cooler almost identical to MarsChariot. I do not have the extra finned heat sink. But I did plumb a derale filter in front of the cooler. I do not have a ton of miles on the setup but the fan kicks on at around 180 degrees and you can slightly hear it in the cab. I still need a mud/rock shield.