• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Efi swap thermostat

G's Baja Bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sunny SO CAL
I was at the AutoZone earlier and was going to buy a thermostat and found that the stock 88-93 stang stat is 192 degrees, and the 96-97 exploder 5.0 is also 192 degrees, what should I run in Southern California, including trips to Imperial Valley desert and Baja. I am running an over-sized aluminum radiator and Mark vii fan, also an over-sized engine oil cooler, The thermal switch for the fan is 180 degrees from painless.

I was thinking a 180 would be ok, the computer might think I am running a little cold and richen the mixture, or should I just go with the 192???

would my gas mileage suffer with the 180?

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I was at the AutoZone earlier and was going to buy a thermostat and found that the stock 88-93 stang stat is 192 degrees, and the 96-97 exploder 5.0 is also 192 degrees, what should I run in Southern California, including trips to Imperial Valley desert and Baja. I am running an over-sized aluminum radiator and Mark vii fan, also an over-sized engine oil cooler, The thermal switch for the fan is 180 degrees from painless.

I was thinking a 180 would be ok, the computer might think I am running a little cold and richen the mixture, or should I just go with the 192???

would my gas mileage suffer with the 180?

Run the 192. That's what Ford spec'd for the EFI engines and they'll run most efficiently with that thermostat. I use a 192 in my engine and I've run my truck in the areas you've mentioned as well as a lot of hot and cold climates without incident.

Todd Z.

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
your EFI system will run a lot more efficient with the t-stat the EFI was programmed to run at, that being 192*. if you run a lower temp, you'll probably have a loss in mileage and engine performance. i know there's a programmable fan switch available for electric fans, digital readout so you can set it where you want.

quite honestly i think the hotter t-stat will cool more efficient also. i just haven't tried it in mine yet.