• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Electric fan VS manual fan

Big Slim

do you mean PWM fan? what controls the fan pulses? does it have its own controller and temp sensor?

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
@Big Slim Not sure if you’re asking me or Mad, but yes, it’s a PWM fan. The fan controller they sell optionally with it does have a choice of temp sender, either inline threaded or the crappy way.

For me, the new firmware on the MS3 that’s just beta right now, 1.6, allows for the ecu control of a PWM fan.

I've just started messing with it, but here is the programming page for it. I will just need one sensor for ECU/Fan/Gauges (connected to Dakota though the Megasquirt module)
1679491147399.png

Big Slim

ok. so you can use pwm fan as a standalone without it connected to a PCM/ECU? variable speed would be better than a 2 speed fan. get just the amount of cooling needed without extra noise and power.

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
ok. so you can use pwm fan as a standalone without it connected to a PCM/ECU? variable speed would be better than a 2 speed fan. get just the amount of cooling needed without extra noise and power.
Yes, exactly. With that stand alone controller, you just input the on temp and off temp and the hotter it gets, the progressively higher the fan goes and it uses it’s own temp sensor.

Also, because it’s only one fan with variable speed, it only needs one relay vs a 2 speed fan works like 2 fans and needs 2 relays. And yes, also quieter due to both variable speed and being brushless I believe.