• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Electric Fan

Mikekerney

Loc.
Eufaula
I just got my 5.0 running and used a flex-fan on my serpetine system with the original shroud. Although it's keeping it nice and cool, it sounds like an airplane taking off when I give it the gas.

I'm looking at going to an electric fan to quiet it down. The best I have found is the Cooling Components Slimline fan. It has a shroud included that can be trimmed to the radiator size and is only 2 5/8" thick. Unfortunately, it's over $200 without the controls.

Does anyone have a better solution that doesn't hurt your wallet as much. I don't want to skimp at this point, but also don't want to throw money away.

OP
OP
Mikekerney

Mikekerney

Loc.
Eufaula
With serpentine, I'm rotating the opposite direction.

I picked up a fan and clutch combo out of a later model pickup, but the 95 Mustang water pump end is larger diameter than the fan clutch. Does anyone know if there is a compatible fan clutch I can use versus an electric fan?

TOFIC

Bronco Wrencher and Fixer
Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
I just got my 5.0 running and used a flex-fan on my serpetine system with the original shroud. Although it's keeping it nice and cool, it sounds like an airplane taking off when I give it the gas.

I'm looking at going to an electric fan to quiet it down. The best I have found is the Cooling Components Slimline fan. It has a shroud included that can be trimmed to the radiator size and is only 2 5/8" thick. Unfortunately, it's over $200 without the controls.

Does anyone have a better solution that doesn't hurt your wallet as much. I don't want to skimp at this point, but also don't want to throw money away.

A few pictures of my fan install
TOFIC

Attachments

• Fan1.jpg
    Fan1.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 30
  • Fan.jpg
    Fan.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 43
  • Fan2.jpg
    Fan2.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 40

contactwilson

I just went through this a week ago. I am running the stock radiator and an 1989 mustang 5.0 serpentine setup. I also only have 2.625" of clearance. After a lot of searching with cost in mind I found what I needed. For $125 through Jeg's I ordered the Derale 259-18214 14" puller electric fan. It is only 2.625" thick. You can offset the fan to clear the water pump pulley. The fan is two speed (1500 cfm and 2100 cfm). I am waiting for my order. I few days later I noticed they are on 21 day backorder. Check it out if you can wait a few weeks.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
With serpentine, I'm rotating the opposite direction.

I picked up a fan and clutch combo out of a later model pickup, but the 95 Mustang water pump end is larger diameter than the fan clutch. Does anyone know if there is a compatible fan clutch I can use versus an electric fan?

You might take a look and some measurements from an explorer waterpump/fan. It uses the same style wp as the '95 mustang (can be swapped) but the shaft end is threaded for the fan. The pulley spacing is supposed to be slightly different but I bet there's a way to make it work.

OP
OP
Mikekerney

Mikekerney

Loc.
Eufaula
Thanks for the input.
Would prefer not to wait a couple weeks for an electric fan. I'll run by my salvage yard and check out the explorer setup.

thesnake

Bronco Guru
Mike, A guy that used to be on here, Pat Ballard used two pusher fans out of a 80's Nissan with his 5.0 conversion. I was pretty impressed with that idea and scored two fans from two different Nissans. I had them temporarily zip tied in my 73 when i had it and they worked great. I've since taken them apart and painted the cover guards ford blue and cleaned them up. They are waiting to go in my next bronco.

When I pulled mine, the yard charged me $5 each. If you try it, get as much of the wiring as you can for them.

hth,

JD