• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Electrical Issues - Please help!

kbronco

OK let me lay out what my problem is.

Every time I turn the ignition to the start position it blows the 15 amp fuse in my fusible link before my starter relay/solenoid.

What I've replaced recently as well as what I've replaced trying to solve this problem:

Alternator (stock)
Voltage regulator
Starter relay/solenoid
Ignition switch
Battery and associated cables
Starter cable

Let me know what y'all think.

OP
OP
kbronco

kbronco

Describe where this fuse is exactly.

I have replaced the original inline fusible link that comes to the battery side if the starter relay/solenoid with an aftermarket 12 ga fuse holder/fusible link and a 15 amp fuse. On the 1970 wiring schematic the fusible link is marked 38a, its a black wire.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
15 amps is not enough. That circuit powers everything and passes all the charging current from the alternator. Replace the fuse with the correct 16 ga fusible link.

OP
OP
kbronco

kbronco

OK, how many amps fuse then? I was just following a previous recommendation. Thanks. Happy Easter.

OP
OP
kbronco

kbronco

Thanks a lot gents I'll give that a try.

Last edited:
OP
OP
kbronco

kbronco

Installed a 40 amp fuse and it hasn't blown yet. Looks like that may have been my problem. Thanks for the help and I'll let you know if it keeps performing.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Carry spares. If you run the battery down low the alternator will blow the fuse when it charges hard.

OP
OP
kbronco

kbronco

Thanks for the tip. I'll stick the rest of them in the glovebox.

RRRAAAYYY2

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Brantford, Ontario
Carry spares. If you run the battery down low the alternator will blow the fuse when it charges hard.

Very good point, and when this happens you will damage the alternator. Though it is not the way it is wired stock, you should have a wire going directly from the alternator's output post to the positive on the battery. On a stock alternator, you can do this with a 10ga wire and be overkill.