• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Embarrassing Steering Stabilizer Question

Duncan

Loc.
Boise, Idaho
Forgive me for asking this question, but I'm learning about my first Bronco here. I am slowly restoring a 69 that is basically stock. I have seen many pics of Bronco front ends and have always noticed 1 stabilizer shock. I ordered a new shock, then creeped under my rig to install it, and holy shit... there's 2. I'm embarrassed to say that I've never noticed a second one tucked back there.

I here many people talking about not running a stabilizer shock at all. Nobody talks about just running 1 as opposed to 2. Is this 2nd one I discovered a stabilizer shock?

Sorry for the idiotic question.

Duncan

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
The reason for the second could be 1 or 2 or a combo platter.
1 reason it has 2 is cause in the 80s it was the style to put those things on everywhere you could, heck even driveshafts would have flourescent colored boots on them to match the 12 shocks on the vehicle.
2. reason is it has some handing issues like bump steer or a sloppy box and the second was put on there to mask the issue and make it more driveable.
Could be a combo of all that stuff too.
I dont have any on mine but dont see a problem with running one to help soften a jerkback from a pothole or tighten the feel up a little bit.

OP
OP
Duncan

Duncan

Loc.
Boise, Idaho
Thanks a lot. I imagine I should take that second one off. It's old and grimy and definitely doesn't fit the 80's look anymore!