• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Emergency Brake pedal w/ full roll bar issue

tlyoung003

Loc.
Modesto, CA
My 75 Bronco didn't have an e-brake when I purchased it. I bought a reproduction from Wild Horses in Lodi. While installing, I realized there is an issue with the front left post on my roll bar. The release is pretty much dead center on the tube and the foot pedal when completely released makes it impossible to push it in with your foot. I can shorten the release lever and re-thread it to allow it to release the pedal. And I can make the pedal wider to allow the foot to press it in. Although it may twist. But before I add more work to an already huge workload, I thought I check with the group to see what worked for them. If there is a shorter e-brake pedal that bolts to the firewall, I'd like to know. Thank you.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Drill a new hole in the bottom of the dash. Bend the park brake bracket towards the center a couple inches. Bolt in. Done.

Millercorey

I didn’t want to bend mine to the right of the post bc, with a manual transmission, it made everything way too cramped down there. I cut and removed about 1”-2” of metal from the pedal to shorten it and then welded it back together. It’s mounted a little left of center on the roll cage so the release is to the left and the pedal falls pretty square to the tube. It’s short enough that your foot can easily reach it but there’s no difference in the feel of actual pushing the pedal down.

Rox Crusher

Bronco Guru
my roll cage bar sits pretty tight to body.

I cut the parking brake arm and angled it in towards the center of the rig and rewelded so that the foot pad just clears the roll cage bar.

The release sits to the left of the roll cage bar and I rotated the t-handle to a vertical position for easier access.

Summersea

3 more options. The first 2 are good options even if you decide to go with a modified pedal that requires you to become a contortionist.
1) Install a Micro Lock. Dash toggle, clean look, easiest to set. Has tendency to fade if used for long periods.
2) Drive line disc brake. Many manufacturers..just Google it. Can be transfer case end or pinion end. Pinion end disc is easily damaged off road.
3) Install a plate style front cage from Tom’s Bronco. Allows normal ebrake use and restores stock legroom in the footwell. Must replace front portion of cage with plate style. Very clean design.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
3 more options. The first 2 are good options even if you decide to go with a modified pedal that requires you to become a contortionist.
1) Install a Micro Lock. Dash toggle, clean look, easiest to set. Has tendency to fade if used for long periods.
2) Drive line disc brake. Many manufacturers..just Google it. Can be transfer case end or pinion end. Pinion end disc is easily damaged off road.
3) Install a plate style front cage from Tom’s Bronco. Allows normal ebrake use and restores stock legroom in the footwell. Must replace front portion of cage with plate style. Very clean design.

1) not safe, not legal in states that require safety inspection with working park brake.
2) does not answer how to actuate the park brake. Also they don't fit Broncos very well. The floor is too close to the output shaft so there isn't room to fit the brake. Possible with a body lift.
3) probably not the answer you want to give someone who just installed a brand new cage. Take it out and buy something else. There are simplier and more cost effective options.

Moving the front of the park brake over a little does not make it a contortion to use.

jmangi62

Bronco Guru
I have a full cage in my rig, and all I had to do was bend it over about a inch. ;D