• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Engine Hibernation

Michael Homan

Loc.
Dayton,Ohio
OK so here is my question

What has been done or needs to be done to an engine that is going to be used in a couple of months,but is a good canidate for a running engine?

In otherwords the engine is going to Hibernate like a bear for the winter, only this is going to be for the spring,summer,and fall.

Drain oil?,add antifreeze to block and tie hoses together, add oil to top of pistions? ETC ETC

What has been done,what needs to be done. Looking for suggestions

Engine to be stored in Ohio

Thanks Mike

hrleydavdsonEB

Loc.
lyman
When we store the 426/440 max wedge cuda for the winter we get it all warmed up and then right before we shut it off pick rpms up to about 2000 and let it suck some oil thru the intake for a second then shut it off and park it.

nrramse

I would worry about fuel corrosion in the carb. Running it out of gas before "hibernating" would be good, and I've heard good things about fuel stabilizers too (like Stabil).

Newell

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Find a boat service manual for storing a boat for the off season.

Few pointers I know of...
Fresh oil. Old oil contains acids left from engine combustion. They will eat bearings and I have even seen one case that it ate the end off the dipstick. Change the oil, warm the engine up and shut it off.

Another one, when you are ready to shut down the engine spray "fogging oil" down the carb. That will lube up the top end. Follow instructions on the can.

You did add stabalizer to the gas, right? Needs to be mixed in the gas. Add, drive around then go into store.

You mention coolant, should be fresh so you don't get the electrolisis errosion eating the metals.

Now if the engine is out of the car already and sitting on the ground.
Move to a dry garage. Leave the oil in it. That will keep the oil pump under the oil level and it will stay primed.
For only a couple months storage, nothing needs to be done. Just cover the open holes to keep out dirt and critters. Can be as simple as using some tape or as fancy as making metal block off plates. Stuff a rag into each of the water ports (keep critters and junk out).

Couple of months is no big deal for storage. As long as you don't do something stupid and leave it outside in the weather it will be fine.

Rollin

Loc.
Port Angeles, WA
Go down to a marine store and pick up a can of fogging oil, start engine and spray it down carb--might have to give it a little rpm so it doesn't die. Then turn off motor pull spark plugs and spray directly into each cylinder--coat the spark plugs and put them back in. Pull coil wire off and turn it over a few times so the fogging oil covers everything real well. Then after you pull it out and fire it up, put in new spark plugs and she is good to go. Of course the fuel system is a different story.
The fogging oil down the carb stops your intake ,valves and heads from getting surface rust while its in lay up mode.
That fogging oil is great stuff.