• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Engine ID Code?

bayoubronco

Am I reading this code correctly? I'm getting D9OE and decoding it as a 79 Torino (which is a separate perplexing discrepancy, right?). And this is on my 76 Bronco.

Attachments

• 20211029_145829.jpg
    20211029_145829.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 17
OP
OP
bayoubronco

bayoubronco

OK, so if it is 79 then it was possible to be on an LTD II. But, still not solving my original parts question.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What exactly is your question?...its a '79 production block anyway. '79-'84 302 used that block.

OP
OP
bayoubronco

bayoubronco

I'm basically asking if I'm decoding the engine correctly, as a 1979 build. Because, That puts a major question in my 76 bronco history.
Its purring like a kitten, so I'm not complaining...lol

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The model that shows up when you research the number, that isn't the model it was installed in. It was the model the revision was made for. EVERYTHING else that could use the block with that revision got the same number. The design date code doesn't change until there is another revision to the casting (not the machining after casting).

Revisions can be done for all kinds of reasons. A weak point was found and addressed, a better way of building the molds for the block that results in less scrap parts, a new sensor boss is needed, rear main seal changed, block is roller compatible, the list is endless.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Known by Ford as a “engineering number“ not an actual part number. Although that’s what we use them for anyway up to a point.

Is that other group of digits an actual casting date code by any chance? If so that will tell you exactly when it was produced.

OP
OP
bayoubronco

bayoubronco

Great info and thank you!! I did read a few articles on Engineering numbers, and Part # vs ID #, etc. I was trying to rationalize that I had the date code wrong or there was another simple 'Ford reason' a D9 date code Engine is sitting on a Nov 1975 factory production. I now should go chase down the other engine numbers...still under a 1/4" of dirt/grease that's either 46 years old or 43..LOL.

OP
OP
bayoubronco

bayoubronco

FYI. that picture is under the Starter, with what seems to be numbers for ID, (Part) and Revisions.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Lots of confusion over the years when an engine comes up as being from a "Torino" or a "Falcon" or whatever. Just like was said, it was designed by that team, but used in multiple platforms and for multiple years sometimes. The sometime-exception to that is the "T" numbers which were in fact designed for the Truck line of Ford products. Might still have made it to passenger cars, but does not seem to be as often as the other way 'round.

There are often one-year only models, but more often than not that same number (with variations on the suffix letters of course) were used for two, three, or even more years in a row.
But the bottom line is it's still a '79 revision in a '76 vehicle, so that tells me that no matter what it's from or when it was built, it was installed after your Bronco was out in the real world and for some reason one of the PO's wanted or needed to change it out.
Might even be as simple as a shop rebuild, using an easy to find block, so that the vehicle downtime while the engine was at the shop was minimized.

Lots of scenarios. Do you know or have contact info for any of the previous owners that might shed some light?

paul

OP
OP
bayoubronco

bayoubronco

Thanks Paul, this is where it gets tough. My Uncle owned it since 1978 and he is no longer around to ask. Ironically, it's the reason I took on fixing it up. There is other family and his friends I can check in with.

This also really opens up (and may answer) another issue I'm having...2H FWD only and if that gear was re-installed backwards.

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
I'm basically asking if I'm decoding the engine correctly, as a 1979 build. Because, That puts a major question in my 76 bronco history.
Its purring like a kitten, so I'm not complaining...lol
No, you are not decoding it correctly.
Yes, that block was cast in the foundry on March 8, 1979.

The engineering number cast in to the block is a D9OE- prefix, and was engineered for the 1979 model year intermediate sized passenger car. As stated elsewhere, it could be found in numerous applications, until the part was either revised, or obsolete.

But the date code of 9C8, and the D9OE is a dead giveaway.

The C7AW-4025-E rear end housing was used from 1967 to 77 in the Bronco, and never changed numbers. But my all time favorite is the B6AZ-11450-A (starter relay) which was used as a service part from 1956-1991.

Last edited:

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
This also really opens up (and may answer) another issue I'm having...2H FWD only and if that gear was re-installed backwards.
Are you saying that you have no rear axle power when in 2-HI? But 4WD works fine in low range?

Sure sounds like someone put the transfer case input gear on backwards. It’s easy to do it wrong.

OP
OP
bayoubronco

bayoubronco

Correct, our driveway test results were in part trying to loosen the system up and test the gears. It moved in 2H Locked only; 4H and 4L work in Free and Locked. I haven't done any suspended test for 100% confirmation, but 4x definitely takes more power to move the vehicle. And that J shifter has a lot sideways range going into 4H.

OP
OP
bayoubronco

bayoubronco

As you can see, I'm over the hurdle of asking ignorant questions; but I think asking me to clarify between them was appropriate...;. And Ignorance here was more about denial of some basic facts. I had the casting # and I read the decoding articles to get to 1979 AND I read the post below on my separate issue.
I'm still struggling with when to create a new post when the topic changes vs let the conversation continue (maintaining the flow) and my biggest driver...associating disparate information (symptoms and facts) to identify a root issue. I only started verifying my engine because I read the post on the gear being backwards.

So, in closing this thread, I'm always very appreciative of people's time to reply and provide input!!! I'll go update my Garage and my project thread while redirecting the 2H FWD discussion to: https://classicbroncos.com/forums/threads/t-shift-transfer-case-stuck-in-low.300646/

Last edited: