• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Engine identification code label

NGABronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
N. GA now South Carolina
I did a few searches, do we have a vendor that makes these? It's about a
1"x3" label and is found on the front of the passenger side valve cover. I got a friend looking for one for his 73' resto.

Any help appreciated!!;D

fordfan

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Your talking about the one on the right valve cover.....Call me.

Attachments

• 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 38
  • 018.jpg
    018.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 31

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Dont remember my 73 having one on the pass side. but its been a long time since I stripped off the old paint. I know my 71 has one on the drivers side. Looked at a old pic of a stock 73 and it had some type of stickers on both valve covers. Both smaller than ford fans pics. So Im not sure if there was any rythme or reason to the location or actual types.

fordfan

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Dont remember my 73 having one on the pass side. but its been a long time since I stripped off the old paint. I know my 71 has one on the drivers side. Looked at a old pic of a stock 73 and it had some type of stickers on both valve covers. Both smaller than ford fans pics. So Im not sure if there was any rythme or reason to the location or actual types.

These were a "bar code" of the day for the engine plant that seemed to have about 10-12 different codes and dates, some of which were punched out. The ID code labels began mid-year with the '73. The early '73s with the 'Power by Ford' valve covers did not have these labels. The ID stickers came with the Ford oval valve covers. As far as the size of the label, I'm not sure of the '73-'75 size (but I think they are the same), but this is the original/correct sticker on the '76 and '77 engines.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Roger that. I really was only going by my fading memory. I stripped the orginal paint/decals off my valve covers in 86. My 73 is a early one anyhow.
Old magazine test pics of a 73 show smaller stickers than your 76/77. Thats all I can go off of.

The mustang decals may not have the correct codes as a bronco would have. So Id check closely unless you just after a look.

fordfan

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Your right. I bet the label designates such things as which shift built it, which line, which compression, which cam, which head and valve, valve springs, and probably a bunch more things. I would guess that the trucks and broncos would have close to the same specs, but cars ie. Mustangs, Mavericks, LTDs, Torinos, and Country Squires (These names makes me remember the cool cars of the 70's) would have different codes.