• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Excessive locker pop in rear end Yukon Grizzly Locker

orygunbou71

Loc.
Ashland, Oregon
Hi all I have a Ford 9" Big bering axle and have 4.56 gears hooked up to a dana 20 and np435. Ive noticed that my Yukon Grizzly locker (only has 5k miles on it) has been popping more frequently on all sorts of terrain from asphalt to dirt roads to sand. It doesn't matter if I'm turning or not but when it pops it is loud and shakes the whole bronco. Also my gear oil in the rear appears to be metallic in color even after i have done several gear oil changes on the diff. Any ideas on what could be causing this?

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Call Yukon asap.
You Grizzly Locker comes with a great warranty that covers $2000 bucks in collateral damage.

stlo

Bronco Guru
Loc.
tulsa
Strange I have the same set up almost to the t ...... My has popped maybe 4 or 5 times in prolly 4 yrs......what size tires and how wide and what air pressure u run....what wt. gear oil

OP
OP
O

orygunbou71

Loc.
Ashland, Oregon
Strange I have the same set up almost to the t ...... My has popped maybe 4 or 5 times in prolly 4 yrs......what size tires and how wide and what air pressure u run....what wt. gear oil

I have had it pop 5 times in one day!! then be fine for the next two days then pop again!

stlo

Bronco Guru
Loc.
tulsa
Strange.... That size tire shouldn't be that big of an issue.....what did toms say?...have u ever had the driveshaft out and turned the yoke by hand back and forth to see how much slop u had before it hit gears?

OP
OP
O

orygunbou71

Loc.
Ashland, Oregon
Strange.... That size tire shouldn't be that big of an issue.....what did toms say?...have u ever had the driveshaft out and turned the yoke by hand back and forth to see how much slop u had before it hit gears?

no i haven't but my driveline guy put in a new pinion yoke on the rear carrier and didn't mention it. i will have to check it anyways. I haven't talked to toms yet but I'm suppose to take it in tomorrow to them and have them look at it.

stlo

Bronco Guru
Loc.
tulsa
Well let us know ......toms does a great job building there 3rd members....if I remember right they use solid spacers on all there pinion install instead of crush sleeves. But maybe they did on yours and ur mech. That did the yoke install didn't bother to put a new crush sleeve in.... Every time u do that kind of work and it has a sleeve u should put a new one in and torque to spec.... If not u could have some play that might be sloppy and making it pop...idk that's my train of thought anyway