• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Exhaust close to transfer case

aggieland

Recently picked up a 1976 bronco that has a 302 engine. Didn't notice until now that the exhaust is touching the transfer case. Thoughts if this could create an issue. this is my first ever bronco, and I have very limited knowledge of exhaust lines or transfer cases.
full

Contributor
It looks like it’s touching the crossmember. I would have your exhaust redone and reroute it to the passenger side. It’s way to close to everything imo.

Last edited:

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Your feelings are correct. That is not right. The exhaust should not be making hard contact with anything and only touching exhaust hangers.
That is wrong by being against both the transmission crossmember and the transfer case. I'm going to say that should be redone. Any decent exhaust shop will laugh at that work and redo it correctly.
It's not unsafe, you can drive it to the exhaust shop. It is just low quality work. And direct contact to the transfer case would make it run hotter after a long drive. I would not recommend a 200 mile road trip at highway speeds, the transfer case oil would likely get pretty warm.

BronCowie

Contributor
Old Timer
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Welcome to our panel of experts. It seems unanimous that it needs to be redone. Don't forget to tell the exhaust shop not to laugh too hard! :p

Johnnyb

Contributor
Loc.
Flagstaff
Somebody thought they were being clever putting the exhaust inside the crossmember. It does keep it up out of the way but I can't imagine that doesn't create a rattle and a heat transfer.

-JB