• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Exhaust Heat Shield Ideas

JohnJohn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Richmond
This will be my first summer driving my EB and I am all ready getting hit with the heat inside the cab.
I just ordered the BC Broncos heater core shut off valve after noticing hot air was flowing into the cab from the air box.
I have the firewall insulation but no bed liner yet.

I have a 2 inch body lift but my dual flowmasters are still heating the rear floor up pretty good. They are mounted at an angle and there is about 3" of clearance from the floor.
It’s worse at stop lights and traffic but I know it is going to be worse on a trail in the summer.

I was thinking about bending some sheet metal and spacing it an inch or so off each muffler and tack welding it in place to act as a heat shield. Has anyone done this or have any good ideas?

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Yes, I just made some last week... California is requiring me to have 4 cats, just like the donor 89 mustang had in order to make my EFI conversion legal in their eyes. (So I can pass Bi-annual smog and get my tags) So I got them on... and needed to protect the fuel filter and fuel lines...

I made two out of some stainless that I had lying around. Flowmaster makes heat shields that strap on to their mufflers... I have them on my 88 Mustang track car, back seat does get warm when the air is not moving under the chassis and mine are really close to the body pan. (Sorry no pic's of that)

Attachments

• Cat heatshield-rear.jpg
    Cat heatshield-rear.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 109
  • Cat heatshield-rear2.jpg
    Cat heatshield-rear2.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 131
  • Cat Frt Left side.jpg
    Cat Frt Left side.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 125

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
Basicly the same thing I did but used a piece of galvanize I had laying around.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Yes, I just made some last week... California is requiring me to have 4 cats, just like the donor 89 mustang had in order to make my EFI conversion legal in their eyes. (So I can pass Bi-annual smog and get my tags) So I got them on... and needed to protect the fuel filter and fuel lines...

I made two out of some stainless that I had lying around. Flowmaster makes heat shields that strap on to their mufflers... I have them on my 88 Mustang track car, back seat does get warm when the air is not moving under the chassis and mine are really close to the body pan. (Sorry no pic's of that)

Nice job! I need to do something similar where my passenger side header goes by the passenger floorboard. It's been so hot at times that it has melted my wife's sneakers!

SSDDBRONCO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Los Angeles
Nice job! I need to do something similar where my passenger side header goes by the passenger floorboard. It's been so hot at times that it has melted my wife's sneakers!

now that is crazy now you know where to cook your eggs when you when out of propane when your camping;D

Jakedog

That is the exact reason I want to go with a 75 or older Bronco. When I had my 75 in the 1990's it was always a PIA to get it smogged. Atleast the 75's are exempt now!