• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Exhaust question- Cherry Bombs

chris

No more Rock Crawler
I am at the end of my patiance right now. This damn 4 link is killing me. I have had to change so much on the truck to put this on. %)

Anyway, I have spent hours playing with the old exhaust trying to shoe horn it in. Bendable tubing and all, I can't fit the regular muffler back under there.

How loud are Cherry Bomb Glasspacks? I have heard they really don't change the sound level much at all? I might be able to fit one of them in.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Chris, true glasspacks will get louder over time as the glass mat burns away. Are you thinking of a single Cherry Bomb? I had glasspacks on a 65 Mustang (289) a few years back. I started with two 30 inch long ones. I had to add two 12 inch ones to get it quiet enough - it really resonated inside. But that may not be a problem in your Bronco with a soft top.

hackyrat

Mine has a single cherry bomb on it. It was cheap and quick. Actually a bit dissapointed because it was not loud enough but it works fine. Eventually I will be putting in a new motor and install new exhaust at that time with a better muffler system. But for now nothing wrong with the cherry bomb.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Also the larger the diameter the pipe the deeper the tone. If running them out the rear it may not be as loud. I used to run cherry bombs out the side in front of the rear tires I loved the sound but they do get loud as time goes by I run regular mufflers now a little less noise but still sound good.

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
I had a single 2 3/4 inch on the 74 sounded real good on my 69 I have two 2 1/2 inch with turn downs the idle when cold sounds good ok when it's warm sounds not so good when cruising sounds great when I hammer it and anything other than that I cannot hear them over the boggers so they are not that loud but they will get louder over time.

brewchief

I've got cherry bombs on one of my trucks ands it's not to bad, exhaust on that truck is header, 18" pipe, cherry bomb, 18" pipe, turndown. I had to change my bronco to a differant muffler a few years ago in order to go to the dunes, MI requires a spark arrestor or chambered muffler for any vehicle used on state land, even the dunes%). Might want to check your states laws to make sure you will be legal, it would suck to go though all the effort building your truck just to be turned away at the gate.

Brewchief;D

recoiljunky

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Dothan, AL. USA
I've got cherry bombs on one of my trucks ands it's not to bad, exhaust on that truck is header, 18" pipe, cherry bomb, 18" pipe, turndown. I had to change my bronco to a differant muffler a few years ago in order to go to the dunes, MI requires a spark arrestor or chambered muffler for any vehicle used on state land, even the dunes%). Might want to check your states laws to make sure you will be legal, it would suck to go though all the effort building your truck just to be turned away at the gate.

Brewchief;D

Funny!!!

PotterFX4

Loc.
Parma, OH
The PO installed duel cherry bombs and I hate the sound. They run straight out the back and are annoying to listen to plus the exhaust fills the cab. Ripping it all out when it come time.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
It is honestly as hit or miss as it sounds in this post. Built a truck last year, stupid loud with open cats. Wanted to try and keep that but needed to get the exhaust off the gas tank. So a little pipe and a pair of 12" glasspacks, oh so quiet. Personally perfect except for the drone at highway speeds. But everyone is shocked how quiet it is with how little is under it, especially those who heard it fire without them.

Then I have also had glasspacks that I doubt did any quieting at all. Exhaust is such a hit or miss game. There are some generalities. Larger diameter, louder. Shorter overall length, louder. Bigger cam (sooner exhaust), louder. More compression, louder.

Rockmnky

You might want to check out hushpower by Flow Master, HP-2's they are 12" long and many diameter's. There are longer ones to chose from also.

Attachments

• product_photo-medium_image-95.jpg
    product_photo-medium_image-95.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 8

68ford

Bronco Guru
these are pretty small, sound and look really good as well. i put one on my daily driver to test it, it is definitely going on the bronco shortly.

Benzo

Loc.
SF Bay Area
One thing to think about.

I changed from my dual 18" cherry bombs to magnaflows 2 1/4". There was no glass left in cherry bombs and I have an exhaust leak between the head and the hedder that I could not hear.

As was mentioned, my exhaust ran out of the back too and there wasn't a time when I could not smell exhaust. Make sure you route the pipes out behind the rear wheels if you dont want to smell the exhaust.

Dan76

I have duel glass packs with stock manifolds. Its actually pretty quiet!

mr.n

Depending on space you could always run two mufflers.
Maybe on 12" near the t-case and another 12" behind the axle.

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
these are pretty small, sound and look really good as well. i put one on my daily driver to test it, it is definitely going on the bronco shortly.

does your daily driver have a converter wayne? that'll quiet them down more too.

68ford

Bronco Guru
yeah, im asuming it will be alot louder, but the tone is great, did you listen to the samples on the site?

OP
OP
chris

chris

No more Rock Crawler
A fresh start yesterday allowed me to come up with a solution to my problem. I turned the old muffler around and was able to shoehorn it back in. Not too bad. May have to tweak it a bit more but it fits.