• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Explorer 5.0 GT40P heads. Header suggestions

Fur_Pig

Could folks please chime in with what headers they're running on their explorer 5.0's with the GT40P heads? I understand these require different headers than the mustang 5.0 and non gt40p head 5.0 explorers.

Bronco hut's site is down but I saw them mentioned in a bunch of threads. Plan to do custom exhaust from the header back but would prefer some headers that are ready to go and position the downpipes well to clear the 5.0/4r70 combo and frame rails while leaving decent room for front driveshaft.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I think somebody else stepped in with Sanderson while bronco hut was lagging behind. Someone will know who that is. But Sanderson is the manufacturer of note at the moment.
Several members here have used standard headers with their P heads though and maybe they’ll chime in with their methods.

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
A standard header will bolt up, but access to spark plugs is limited. If I remember correctly, one side is ok - the other not so much. I've seen some creative homemade tools to get plugs in and out, but still not ideal or fun.
Have you considered using the stock P head manifolds? Nothing wrong with those, unless you just want a header.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
I THINK the Sanderson part number is FF7GTS for the BH headers. I read that someplace. I run the BH headers and no issues.........IF you run them on a W you will have to trim a very very small spot on the P side inner finder due to the higher deck on the W.

I would call the number on the new BH web page and order.

If you have any questions or to place an order, please call us at (918) 994-7260 or email us at Bronco.info@r3pp.com.
Our hours are M-F 8am-5pm Central time.

Tim

bigmuddy

Bronco Guru
Not really the question, but you can use stock 302 manifolds too. They need to be ground down around some plugs and you would need to run hi-temp plug wires and insulated boots.