• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Explorer Serpentine - Griffin, PSC, BC, and WH - Making everyone play nice

72_EB

Contributor
66to77
I've been meaning to get a few pictures up and post a couple parts numbers folks might find useful if they end up going with the Explorer serpentine, WH's High Volume PSC pump, and a Griffin or other radiator with swapped inlet/outlets. I found a quite few threads on the stuff a lot of folks have already dealt with (upper radiator hose, lower idler pulley - posted again below), but I didn't find a ton of info on the PSC pump on here. KyleQ is running this pump, but he's full hydro and I am going to run the stock power steering box, so the setup was obviously a bit little different. Luckily, the boys at my local Advance Auto Parts were very cool about looking up hose #s or letting me rifle through their hose section so I could stuff that fit and had good clearance. They are all gearheads themselves and had a good time with them last night at local car show talking about their cars and also my Bronco projects.
Anyway, below are some pictures and descriptions that hopefully will help others if they decided to go with the WH PSC pump. I'll post more info when I get my box rebuild and have it finally up and running.

OP
OP
72_EB

72_EB

Contributor
66to77
Here's the first issue, which I believe is also mentioned by Daddy4Zack on WH's page in the review of the pump - Spacers.
*Definitely glue your spacers on the Explorer bracket prior to mounting and bolting up the pump.* There is no way you will be getting the pump bolted on unless your spacers are attached ahead of time (especially that lower spacer). My pump needed 1/4" of spacing between pump and the bracket to get the belt and pulley depth right and the same as the factory pump and pulley spacing.
I used a combination of 1/8" and 1/4" chrome spacers (found at local Menard's).

Attachments

• Spacers.jpg
    Spacers.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 79
  • Spacer packs.jpg
    Spacer packs.jpg
    221.7 KB · Views: 76
  • Belt.jpg
    Belt.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
OP
OP
72_EB

72_EB

Contributor
66to77
Here's a shot of the belt routing (without shroud on) so you can also see how I ran my pressure hose and the notching required in the factory Explorer bracket for running the hose.
Running the pressure hose out the bottom caused a number of issues with clearance for me with the clutch fan, lower radiator hose, and my BC braided lines. Using the factory Early Bronco lower radiator hose got all these items closer than I liked. I had to make a clip for the fuel pressure and return lines to the water pump and I found a good lower hose that kept my pressure hose away from both the fan and the lower hose. Part # is Dayco 72048. Out a '90s Dodge trucks I believe. I had to cut about a 1/4" off the end of the hose, but it fit great. Photo looks like the hose is on top of the radiator hose, but there is easily a good inch of clearance. Same with the fan.
The serpentine belt I used was a Dayco 5060835 (83.5").

Attachments

• Belt routing from below.jpg
    Belt routing from below.jpg
    247.8 KB · Views: 118
  • Dodge lower hose.jpg
    Dodge lower hose.jpg
    224.6 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
OP
OP
72_EB

72_EB

Contributor
66to77
Here's another shot of the belt and a shot of the smaller idler pulley
(Napa #36079 - 60mm) that BroncoBernie discovered. Cleared the frame great with Napa motor mounts.

Attachments

• Napa pulley.jpg
    Napa pulley.jpg
    212.1 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
OP
OP
72_EB

72_EB

Contributor
66to77
Here's the upper hose I used with the reverse radiator fittings. Dayco #71654. Trailpsycho found this one for his rig. It does touch the top of the alternator, but I don't think this will cause any long term overheating issues or anything with the alternator. Trailpsycho might chime in. He's been running it a while now I believe. There are no moving parts here to worry about. I did grab a cover at the boneyard since my hose didn't come with one. Should work good.

Attachments

• Upper radiator hose.jpg
    Upper radiator hose.jpg
    231.9 KB · Views: 97
  • radiator hose.jpg
    radiator hose.jpg
    217.2 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
OP
OP
72_EB

72_EB

Contributor
66to77
Other things of note -

I had to install my pressure hose before installing pump and bracket onto the engine. If it ever has to come off again for service, pressure hose will need to be removed from box and then whole bracket, pump, and assembly removed as one unit with hose attached.

My pressure hose I had made up at Aeroquip in Chicago was 6AN female at the pump end and 6AN to 11/16" inverted flare on box side (Aeroquip #2965).

I took the washer off the lower bracket bolt to get the pressure hose a little more tucked up next to it.

Hopefully, these items help folks out. I swear I had that damn Explorer bracket off like 20 times getting stuff to fit the way I wanted! :mad: Finally satisfied with everything and this pump should hopefully last for years with 35s.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Great write-up and excellent research on your part. It certainly can be time-consuming! You have a real clean install.

Todd Z.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Here is my factory upper hose with an Explorer radiator modified to fit-

Any my full hydro setup really isn't any different then any other setup - I've got the same high and low pressure lines and they go to the same exact place as the factory box, they are just nice DIY hoses with -6 ends. Then I have two high pressure lines that go to the cylinder, just like any hydro assist setup. It's not vodoo ;)

OP
OP
72_EB

72_EB

Contributor
66to77
No, no voodoo, but found it required a little more monkeying with than most of Jim's products at Wild Horses. The instructions left a little to be desired and I only had the black and white bracket photos until I saw your larger color shots.
I did want to address the pressure hose routing as it might be something to Jim decides to change or modify in the future. With the items I used, it should be fairly straightforward for anyone using a stock Ford power steering box whether stock, F100, or Rockcrawler.