• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

explorer timing cover help needed!

blazinchuck

Bronco Guru
i need some quick help. ive already done the explorer serp conversion...but now im second guessing myself. after reading some tech...i keep seeing that there is a dowl pin that needs grinding and a cam shaft bolt head that need grinding for clearance using the explorer cover. i dont recall any issues other than removing the fuel pump eccentric. once i did that, i replaced the washer/bolt and tightened. the crack turns fine and i dont feel any interference in the cover. im hoping yall can tell me if these mods were more needed on the older 302's getting this swap??

i just dont want to remove everything ive done and painted, just to replace more gaskets, more cleaning,etc....only to find its all ok and there was plenty of clearance between the cam shaft bolt and back of the cover.

6daze

I didn't do any grinding on my 71 302.

Unfortunately the only way to truly tell is to remove the cover.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Sometimes the bolt and dowel grinding is required and sometimes it isn't. Those are just things to look at when fitting the parts. I used an '89 mustang block and had to do both. Your mileage may vary.

OP
OP
blazinchuck

blazinchuck

Bronco Guru
yep, i just pulled everything and found the bolt grinding the back of the cover. i posted the results in my 306 thread....im pissed

airbur

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Castle Pines, CO
That sux! I ground mine about 1/8" to get the washer to sit flat.

62f5f9aa-caa8-84a8.jpg

OP
OP
blazinchuck

blazinchuck

Bronco Guru
i reckon your talking bout the dowl pin?? i didnt have an issues with the dowl...just the head of the bolt rubbing the cover.

is it best to grind the head of the bolt or swap washer for a thinner washer?

Crush

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Greenbottom, WV
is this just on the 302/5.0, or does it need to be ground on a 5.8 also. its a 94 out of a truck

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
is this just on the 302/5.0, or does it need to be ground on a 5.8 also. its a 94 out of a truck

Dry fit and measure for the bolt. This should be standard practice when bolting on non-standard parts. The factors that affect bolt clearance are timing gear thickness (yes they vary) and washer and bolt head thickness.

I would not use a thinner washer. That washer is thick and hardened for a good reason. It keeps the cam gear clamped to the cam. You can lose some thickness from the bolt and not affect it's strength.

If dowel shortening is required it will be obvious because the washer won't sit flat.

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
Sweet, something new for me to worry about! I did my Explorer serp swap several years ago so I'm guessing it's fine but now I'll worry about it.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
There are 2 different lengths of dowel pins. Short and long. When putting together the engine I had the choice of what to put in. I did the short and it worked just fine without grinding. Both short and long pins were stock, just different applications. It is prety obvious if the dowel is too long.