• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Eyebrow grill questions

bkeith85

Loc.
Deatsville, AL
I have a bit of a problem. I found out a few years ago that I have an "eyebrow grill" and I can't decide if I should continue using it or not.

I have a '72 Sport. I've had it since '94. I bought it so I could ride trails with my Jeep buddies and it became 90% trail rig around 2001. I am not going to restore this truck. Right now I am repainting it just so it won't rust. Not long after I bought it, I got into an accident and smashed the driver's side corner. I got lucky and found a local guy who had several Broncos. He had a bronco body sinking into a bog behind his house and would sell me a fender and grill for, I think, $150. This was '94 or '95 and I doubt anyone knew what an eyebrow grill was. I know I didn't. Over the years, I got more serious about rockcrawling and started going on rides at ORV parks. The truck got beat up a little and the grill got a dent on the passenger side. I pounded it out and kept going.

Anyway, I found out somewhere a few years ago that my grill is one of these early eyebrow ones. I was just going to massage it a little and put it back on. But now that I know what it is, I feel like that would be wrong. It's not even the right one for my truck. I have some other grills I could use, but they are pretty rough. I had just about decided to use it anyway because I'm not spending $500 for a grill for this truck, just to risk smashing it again. But my buddy found one on ebay or FB that he thought was worse than mine and the guy wanted $3500 for it! Are they really that big of a deal? Do people really need them that bad? I'd feel like an a-hole if I ruined this grill if it could help someone finish a nice resto.

The drivers side is straight, the passenger side was pushed in right in front of the side marker light. I have knocked about 95% of that out. A lot of patience and desire could get it perfect. There is no rust. Some of the mounting holes need to be patched, but I consider it totally usable. Should I keep it? Anyone willing to give me advice on this? Are they really needed that bad, or is that $3500 guy just crazy?

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
At a minimum I'm pretty sure you could find someone with a '66 willing to buy you a new grille in exchange for your eyebrow grille. You could probably easily sell it, buy a new grille and put some money in your pocket. $3500 is on the high side unless it's NOS.

That said, with the use of the Bronco you intend to do, you should sell it to someone who needs it for a factory correct early '66 build.

Sendero

Contributor
Sr. Jr. Member
Agreed on finding someone who “needs” it for their 66 build. FYI, I have a ‘66 that did not come with an eyebrow grill because mine was a produced in November and apparently they stopped doing the eyebrow in October.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Eyebrow grilles sell for several hundred dollars. The one listed for $3,500 will be listed for that for the next 50 years.

OP
OP
bkeith85

bkeith85

Loc.
Deatsville, AL
I just posted a bunch of pictures of it to my gallery. They are the only pics in there. I blasted most of it, except the back, so there shouldn't be anything hiding. I was spraying my tailgate and had some epoxy left over in the gun, so I sprayed some on the grill so the bare metal wouldn't rust until I could finish blasting it.

Sounds like it's not a goldmine after all. I see used grills from other years going for almost $400. I don't think I will put it back on my truck, so it will be safe. But now I need a grill, so I am exploring my options. If/when I decide to sell it, I'll post it in the classifieds. I don't want this to start sounding like an ad. I've been fussed at before in other forums. I appreciate everyone's advice so far.

To be honest, I wish the $3500 fantasy was real. I could put that toward building a shop.

Cole Weyand

Contributor
Cole’s Classic Trucks
Loc.
Stanfield
I just posted a bunch of pictures of it to my gallery. They are the only pics in there. I blasted most of it, except the back, so there shouldn't be anything hiding. I was spraying my tailgate and had some epoxy left over in the gun, so I sprayed some on the grill so the bare metal wouldn't rust until I could finish blasting it.

Sounds like it's not a goldmine after all. I see used grills from other years going for almost $400. I don't think I will put it back on my truck, so it will be safe. But now I need a grill, so I am exploring my options. If/when I decide to sell it, I'll post it in the classifieds. I don't want this to start sounding like an ad. I've been fussed at before in other forums. I appreciate everyone's advice so far.

To be honest, I wish the $3500 fantasy was real. I could put that toward building a shop.
I’m interested in the eye brow grill once you’re ready to sell it.