• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Failed Evap Test

cmotes

Hello - failed the "evap test" last week here in Calif. Any suggestions on what to look for/replace in order to pass this thing?

oleguy74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
calif city ca
what did the paper work say?smog guy should have told you what was wrong.gas caps tested only on computer vehicles.gota be a 76-77.might even be just a hose from canister to air cleaner.if carbed vapor line from carb to canister.

OP
OP
C

cmotes

It's a '77. Smog guy suggested the hoses from cannister to tank. How about tank/sending unit gasket?

OP
OP
C

cmotes

Not missing. I guess I'm just going to replace the hoses and check the seal on the sending unit. Just looking for any suggestions. Thanks.

justinoshea

Contributor
Loc.
Gilbert, AZ
my 77 failed first time though and it was the gas cap. Inspect the rubber seal on the cap. if it looks 30 years old and cracked buy a new one.

OP
OP
C

cmotes

Gas cap was good and even replaced it with a different one during the test. So far I replaced hoses from the cannister back to the last one connecting to the fuel tank. Can't get to it without dropping the fuel tank... later today... pain in the butt!

Baja71

Bronco Guru
I agree that the cap is the number one culprit. Also, Ford says you can rejuvenate the charcoal by baking it for a couple of hours. Don't know the proper temp though. I'd also check the lines for blockage. They aren't all metal, so you may have a breach in the rubber bits.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Evap test is generally checking the gas cap and then doing a visual on the tank to canister hoses. I do not believe that they will pressurize the system. Did you go to a smog test only station or other?

I just went through this last year at a test only station, I knew more than the Tech about 77 emissions for Broncos. Both gas caps failed, no other tests were done on evap other than visuals.

Doug

mitzel

Loc.
Googleplex
904Bronco
> I do not believe that they will pressurize the system.

FYI, I was talking to someone a couple weeks back and he mentioned
pressurizing gas tank to test evap system has been added as a new test
this year. This might be region specific; guy I talked to was in
SF Bay/San Jose area.

OP
OP
C

cmotes

Got all the hoses switched up and was also going to replace the main fuel line hose and noticed each end is a different size - larger at the gas cap. Are these available at most EB parts places? They didn't have them at Napa Auto Parts. I'm in Nor Cal...

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I had the steel vent line near the rear tank get a hole rubbed in it from decades of rubbing on the top of the shock mount. I cut it and slipped some rubber fuel hose in. Should last another while.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
904Bronco
> I do not believe that they will pressurize the system.

FYI, I was talking to someone a couple weeks back and he mentioned
pressurizing gas tank to test evap system has been added as a new test
this year. This might be region specific; guy I talked to was in
SF Bay/San Jose area.

Well if that is the case then California is doing their best to keep 30+ y/o rigs of it's roads. Seriously, I had a hard time finding engine smog parts to get mine legal a year ago. The fuel tank smog stuff is just not made any more...

Fuel filler hose: buy from a vendor or buy a standard size from a Napa and put a little silicon lube on it to get it to fit on the larger end

Brinco

Pressurizing the evaporations sytem is new and is now part of the CA smog test. I just had it done to to my vehicle last month and they charged me extra for it. The smog tech showed me the new law and it says it is done to every vehicle 1990 and older. Check all the hoses into and out of the tank and make sure they are not cracked and the connections are tight.