• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

FAQ - How do I resize a photo?

admin

Administrator
Just your friendly, neighborhood webmaster...
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
How to resize your photos

Usually digital cameras or scanners produce photos that are much too large to show on the web. That's because a digital camera gives you a very large resolution, which is needed to print out photos on paper. However, your computer screen has a much lower resolution than your printer, so digital camera photos are usually 6-10 times larger than they should be for your computer screen.

Windows XP Users

If you use Windows XP there's a very nice add on that lets you resize photos with just a right click. It's part of the Windows Power Toys. Here's more info:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/digitalphotography/learnmore/tips/eschelman2.mspx

Windows Vista Users
Unfortunately the Power Toy above doesn't work with Vista; only XP. But there is another free program that works well in Vista: http://www.vso-software.fr/products/image_resizer/

Paint Shop Pro (free trial version available)

Open your photo and resize
1. File --> Open ...or type Ctrl+O
2. Image --> Resize ...or type Shift+S
3. Use the "Pixel size" option at the top. I suggest a width of 650 pixels for the web. (The height should automatically change so don't worry about that number)

Now save the file
1. File --> Saveas ...or hit the F12 key
2. Pay attention to the "Save in:" window at the top so you know where the photo is being saved to on your computer.
3. File name: Type in a file name (see suggestion below)
4. Save as type: Select JPEG
5. Click "Save" and you're done!

Adobe Photoshop

2. Image --> Image SizeResize
3. Set "Pixel Dimensions" width (the height will adjust automatically) I suggest a width of 650 pixels for the web. Then go down to "Document Size" and set the Resolution to 72. Don't pay attention to width and height.

Now save the file
1. File --> Saveas ...or type Shift+Ctrl+S
2. Pay attention to the "Save in:" window at the top so you know where the photo is being saved to on your computer.
4. Format: Select JPEG/JPG

MicroSoft Paint (Usually found in Start > Programs > Accessories )

2. Image --> Stretch/Skew
3. Under Stretch change "Horizontal" and "Vertical" percentages to something smaller. Always keep both values the same (ie. 25% and 25% ) You'll have to experiment depending on the size of your original image.
4. Double check your size under Image --> Attributes ...or type Ctrl+E Both width and height must be under 700 to be able to upload to the forums.

Now save the file
1. File --> Saveas
4. Format: Select JPEG/JPG

IrfanView (Free program found here: http://www.irfanview.com

1. File --> Open ...or type O
2. Image --> Resize/Resample ...or type Ctrl+R
3. Under Set New Size change "Width" to 700 or less. The Height will automatically adjust. Be sure both are less than 700. Then click "OK"
4. Double check your size under Image --> Attributes ...or type Ctrl+E Both width and height must be under 700 to be able to upload to the forums.

Now save the file
1. File --> Saveas ...or type S
4. Save as type: Select JPG - JPEG Files. If a box pops up you can typically leave the settings as is. 85 for quality is fine.

I suggest saving your newly resized photo as a new name. (maybe add "small" to the name?) That way you can keep the full size one which is better for printing out.

Last edited:
OP
OP
admin

admin

Administrator
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
I'll add another one of these for Adobe Photoshop. Does anyone else need one for a program other than these two?

komodo72

Loc.
Tennessee
the free one that someone posted (maybe wildturkey) works great... i think its called irfanview...

OP
OP
admin

admin

Administrator
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
Yeah, I'll get that one too. Looks very simple... which is good! :)

capt. bronco

For some reason I can't downsize the photo I want. I am using adobe photo shop 2.0 I have the pictures saved to disc. :(

OP
OP
admin

admin

Administrator
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
capt. bronco, are you using the steps outlined above for Photoshop users? If so please let us know what step in the process isn't working for you.

capt. bronco

I already had adobe photoshop 2.0 starter edition on my computer. When i go to pull adobe up it seems to work fine. I retrieve the pictures off the disk ok, but it won't let me resize the picture. I know the picture is way to big to send because the pictures came from my digital camera.

OP
OP
admin

admin

Administrator
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
Here are the steps for Photoshop. Can you tell us exactly which step is causing trouble?

Adobe Photoshop

2. Image --> Image SizeResize
3. Set "Pixel Dimensions" width (the height will adjust automatically) I suggest a width of 650 pixels for the web. Then go down to "Document Size" and set the Resolution to 72. Don't pay attention to width and height.

FFMDX

Loc.
Roseville, CA
I'm having a problem with my paint program on windows xp. There isn't a "resize" option, but there is an "attributes" option for # of pixels, but that doesn't seem to work either. Other members have take my photos from my gallery and have been successful. :mad:

OP
OP
admin

admin

Administrator
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
Check out the first post here for instructions using "Microsoft Paint". Use the "stretch/Skew" command not the "Attributes" command.

FFMDX

Loc.
Roseville, CA
admin said:
Check out the first post here for instructions using "Microsoft Paint". Use the "stretch/Skew" command not the "Attributes" command.

Got it thanx! My buddy let me know this after fighting with my computer. ;)

Just to let you know, I downloaded the "Paint Pro 9 free trial" program and had nothing but problems with my computer "locking-up" and REALLY slow progression on resizing. (New HP computer with tons of memory)

FYI

Sean

White Knight

Contributor
re sizing pictures

I have now retaken picture for my gallery and set the camera to take them a VGE and 3.0 resolution. I have downloaded Paint Pro and if you go according to your instruction to the pixel dimension to resize, changing the width to 650 increases the size well over what the gallery will allow. I have saved in smaller version, in jpg, gif all other fortmats, cropped, changes resolution and still when I go to upload into the gallery get the message that the jpeg forat is not an acceptable file form for the gallery---HELP!

White Knight

Contributor
resizing

Here is the messgae I get--- I have resized to be smaller than 1000 X 1000 and saved the changes in jpeg format and still get this message:
Warning: imagecreatefromjpeg(): '/home/oldford/public_html/photos/uploads/13379/DSC00932.JPG' is not a valid JPEG file in /home/oldford/public_html/photos/image-inc.php on line 81
Home · Search · Profile · Upload Photos · Logout

ClassicBroncos.com Photo Gallery Message
Unable to create image [/home/oldford/public_html/photos/uploads/13379/DSC00932.JPG].
Please contact system administrator.

OP
OP
admin

admin

Administrator
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
Can you email me the exact file you're having trouble with?

Revelation

Bronco Guru
Not sure but are you just saving the file Yyou have to save the re-sized file to your hard drive, it will not save it to a disk.
Try Irfanview, awesome FREE program, easy to use.