• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Ferrari V-8 348 in a Bronco ?

Gupster88

Contributor
Guppy
Loc.
Tillamook OR
Has anyone tried throwing a Ferrari motor in a Bronco yet. Came across a low mileage V8 348 with manifold and exhaust. Motor has only 17K on it and in mint condition. Came out of wrecked car. Definately will fit in engine bay with no problems. Should produce about 325 HP or better as it sits. Thinking it would be cool as shit to putting one In a Bronco.
Has anyone done one of these before? If I can pull it off. Would call it the “ Italian Stallion “ 🤣🤣

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Now that’s thinking out of the normal box!
I do remember one or two exotics being used many many years ago, but haven’t seen any mention of it in a long time.
Probably pricing and maintenance keeps most people at bay.

Is it fuel injected? Then would you use an aftermarket controller or the one from the Ferrari?
Exhaust should be easy. So should connecting the wires once you know what color does what.

I can’t say I feel like trying, but like you said it would be pretty amazing to see one at cars and coffee!

hsach

Contributor
Members Only
Not a Bronco, but here is Bill Harrah's Jerrari. A '77 Jeep Wagoneer with a Ferrari 365 V12 engine installed. It is at the Harrah's Auto Museum, pretty cool place to visit if you are ever in Reno.

Forgot to mention......Italian Stalllion is a perfect name! DO IT!!!!!

Attachments

• 20220416_152802.jpg
    20220416_152802.jpg
    235.3 KB · Views: 64
  • 20220416_152812.jpg
    20220416_152812.jpg
    256.8 KB · Views: 64
  • 20220416_152824.jpg
    20220416_152824.jpg
    294.5 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Has anyone tried throwing a Ferrari motor in a Bronco yet. Came across a low mileage V8 348 with manifold and exhaust. Motor has only 17K on it and in mint condition. Came out of wrecked car. Definately will fit in engine bay with no problems. Should produce about 325 HP or better as it sits. Thinking it would be cool as shit to putting one In a Bronco.
Has anyone done one of these before? If I can pull it off. Would call it the “ Italian Stallion “ 🤣🤣

come on.. you be the first.. :)

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Now that’s thinking out of the normal box!
I do remember one or two exotics being used many many years ago, but haven’t seen any mention of it in a long time.
Probably pricing and maintenance keeps most people at bay.

Is it fuel injected? Then would you use an aftermarket controller or the one from the Ferrari?
Exhaust should be easy. So should connecting the wires once you know what color does what.

I can’t say I feel like trying, but like you said it would be pretty amazing to see one at cars and coffee!

Start digging.. :)

ngsd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Get ready for an A$$ whoopin! I suggested a Voodoo swap once and thought I was going to get hung for making a stupid comment in the past!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What's a Voodoo? Is that the Mustang version of the Coyote? The one with the flat-plane crank and a bazillion rpm redline? Cool package!
Let me guess. You got ragged on for wanting something that revved up to the moon and was designed for higher peak power at peak rpm, rather than building a "torque monster" for a truck instead. Right?
Maybe it's partly true, but I bet they still had more power at 2,000 rpm than the original Bronco engines did! Maybe even more torque as well. Just more peaky (or maybe not), but that can be overcome by gearing.

Use the right gearing for the engine, and you can use anything.
But I was probably one of those on the Windsor bandwagon in that discussion (if I was there?) because I still think it's a great engine for our rigs.
I love power, and I love revving and smooth running, but I'd personally never use an LS even though I think they're one of the, if not THE best engine platforms ever, nor would I use a Coyote/Mod of any family lineage, or a supercharged/turbocharged V6.
But then again, I'm coming around rapidly to those ideas. Most of my resistance is not the powerband, or the brand, or the electronic lifestyle of new engines. It's still about the complexity and size!
Some of them modern bastids are big bastids!

My supercharged Buick V6 was a beast and would have made a nice home under the hood of a Bronco. But I'd rather have just a good old simple low-po Windsor-ish engine. Oldish-school looks still get me going...
But no, I'm not going to put a flathead in my Bronco. But it's been done!

By the way, did you ever find a Voodoo to put in your Bronco?

Paul

OP
OP
Gupster88

Gupster88

Contributor
Guppy
Loc.
Tillamook OR
I think I am going to go ahead and pursue this bit. Costs and logistics may run me away from it . Already doing some research and putting feelers out there on the costs and complications that could come with it.
Hell , I am already watching Youtube videos to see how she would sound. And I think it May freak some people out, but I think it would be bad ass.

ngsd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What's a Voodoo? Is that the Mustang version of the Coyote? The one with the flat-plane crank and a bazillion rpm redline? Cool package!
Let me guess. You got ragged on for wanting something that revved up to the moon and was designed for higher peak power at peak rpm, rather than building a "torque monster" for a truck instead. Right?
Maybe it's partly true, but I bet they still had more power at 2,000 rpm than the original Bronco engines did! Maybe even more torque as well. Just more peaky (or maybe not), but that can be overcome by gearing.

Use the right gearing for the engine, and you can use anything.
But I was probably one of those on the Windsor bandwagon in that discussion (if I was there?) because I still think it's a great engine for our rigs.
I love power, and I love revving and smooth running, but I'd personally never use an LS even though I think they're one of the, if not THE best engine platforms ever, nor would I use a Coyote/Mod of any family lineage, or a supercharged/turbocharged V6.
But then again, I'm coming around rapidly to those ideas. Most of my resistance is not the powerband, or the brand, or the electronic lifestyle of new engines. It's still about the complexity and size!
Some of them modern bastids are big bastids!

My supercharged Buick V6 was a beast and would have made a nice home under the hood of a Bronco. But I'd rather have just a good old simple low-po Windsor-ish engine. Oldish-school looks still get me going...
But no, I'm not going to put a flathead in my Bronco. But it's been done!

By the way, did you ever find a Voodoo to put in your Bronco?

Paul
Yes it was actually kind of funny now looking back. It just got opinions going and while I was just trying to see if anyone ever did one, the opinions of why I would ever want to dominated the thread. I have no issue with whatever anyone wants to do to "their" Bronco, including an LS. The one thing I love about the American car scene is the individuality of every decision to customize. I never went the Voodoo route as I have too many to build and not enough time already. But, I think it would be a hoot!

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
Wasn't it a Ford powered Ferrari concept that inspired the Ford gt's? I remember they had a Ford powered Ferrari (guessing from early 70s) at fab fords years ago. I think ford used that as a base for the newer gt's

knack

Contributor
I vote go for it! With a Ferrari badge on the side you'll never get out of a gas station in less than 20 minutes.

Timstrk

Do the timing belts before the swap. Ferrari is an interference engine and if you break a belt it's done. Good luck.

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Way out of the box! I think more ford Barra swaps. Turbo, tons of power/ torque, would fit nicely in a bronco engine bay. It's .5" shorter somehow. 4.0 would be rad

Power output: 156–198 kW (209–266 hp) ...
Piston stroke: 99.31 mm (3.910 in)
Torque output: 374–409 N⋅m (276–302 lb⋅ft) ...
Displacement: 3,984 cc (243.1 cu in)

mustanggarage

Contributor
what kind of transmission and transfer case would you use? I have seen a ferrari suv once, but I would guess finding a transmission transfer case from one of those would be even more expensive.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
a fairly simple adapter plate would allow the use of any transmission of your choice. Might be a bit tricky to get drawn up unless there is a drawing locating crank centerline and bolting and indexing locations. its doable without too much trouble. I've put together some mighty odd engine/trans combinations that were never intended to be together.