• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Finding and fixing oil leak

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
I'm tracking down a couple oil leaks on my 351w.
Leak #1 is from the dipstick tube. This is the screw in style dipstick that goes into the pan. Should this dipstick have an O ring to seal it or is it just a pressure seal? It had no O ring before so I put one on and it still leaks. I think its worse with the O ring.
Leak #2 looks to be from the back of the oil pan but Im not 100% sure. My original thought was rear main seal but when I pulled the transmission inspection plate, it seems to be dry as a bone in there. Wouldn't my flex plate and torque converter be covered in oil if it was the rear main? I'm a little surprised that the oil pan gasket would be leaking as it is the one piece style and it is less than a year old.

I'm considering pulling the pan to try to seal them both up and I'm considering going with a flexible tube style dipstick.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
the rear leak may be an oil leak from the intake area, specifically a leaky valve cover gasket.

Is the leak on the dipstick at the pan, the screw in point, the top of the dipstick?

OP
OP
casadejohnson

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
the rear leak may be an oil leak from the intake area, specifically a leaky valve cover gasket.

Is the leak on the dipstick at the pan, the screw in point, the top of the dipstick?

The valve covers and the intake are dry with no signs of oil except a small amount from my occasional PCV valve blow out. I'm reasonably certain thats not where that one comes from. I can see oil on the back of the oil pan and it drips from the valley of the oil pan as well as the bell housing. I believe it blows back to the bell from the pan while driving.

The dipstick leak is at the pint where it screws in, thats where I thought an O ring might be needed.

I was planning on putting this leak fix off till summer but with my new exhaust, the oil is blowing back onto the exhaust pipe where it crosses over from the driver side to the passenger side and that give me some less than pleasant burning oil smell.