• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Finish it or buy another

Finish it or buy another

• Total voters

JHD

Loc.
Colorado Springs
I am having a little bit of a problem deciding what I should do next. My Bronco has been sitting for a little over 3 years. What started as an EFI swap turned into a frame-off rebuild and a ridiculous amount of money. I use a set amount of money each year from my Christmas bonus to do what I can. I will have a good sum of money this year but not enough to get it moving again. I miss driving it so much it makes me sick. Three years is too long and I’m guessing it will be another two or three before she is reunited with the road. I need to drive a Bronco again. Do I put the project on hold for a year and buy another one so I can get back behind the wheel or finish what I’ve started.

EDIT:
I am not burnt out or giving up on my project.

Last edited:

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
after the loss of my beloved 5.0 mustang I vowed to never let anything go again
just finish it and get another bronco, I got three all for there own purpose 69 for rocks 74 to look good and a 78 for mud;D

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
Keep on working on it. It will be worth it. I have thought very similar thoughts. I am going on 5 years on my frame-up, and there are times that I just want to throw in the towel and go buy one. But I know that would let me down in the long run.

Colo77Bronco

Contributor
Loc.
Colorado Springs
Put it back together and get it running. You have already done everything that the frame should be off for. Put it back together and drive it while you button up the details.

BigO

Buy a DD and work on the frame off when you can.

I agree. Buy a mild DD, but do not do anything to it except routine maintenance. No new bumpers, no lift, no axle upgrades, nothing!!!

After I finished rebuilding my Bronco, I came to the conclusion that I wouldn't ever do that again unless I had another DD to maintain my sanity.?:? But I repeat, do not do any mods to the second one until you are done with the first.. Otherwise you will wind up with two piles of "What have I gotten myself into".:eek:

OP
OP
JHD

JHD

Loc.
Colorado Springs
Just to clarify I am not bailing out on my 74. I will finihs it some day.

I agree. Buy a mild DD, and do not do anything to it except routine maintenance.

This is exactly what I am thinking about doing. I won't open up another can of worms until the 74 is done.

I know where a decent one is that is for sale
PM me some info.

agent_orange_71

Loc.
Bluefield, WV
Definitely finish it. If you try to cut your losses, you'll do just that. Lose. Mine has been sitting almost untouched for going on 3 years. I did some math and had made up my mind to part it out. BUT I'm going to need a "nice" vehicle at some point, and since the rust monster has arrived on my taco, its going to be degraded to wheeler/DD in a couple more years. So I decided I'd come out ahead to finish the bronc. I'm going to spend the next year sourcing the rest of my driveline parts and stashing money in a savings account. Then I can take out a decent loan against the savings and do the finish work without cutting corners.

t.lay

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grayslake, IL
buying another one just delays finishing the first one. If you're paying enough for a streetable dd, then you've probably got enough juice to get the 74 pretty close to street worthy pretty quick. What are the odds that you'll be tempted to do some little mod to the new dd to make it just a little more livable in the meantime (say something like an efi conversion - oops). Sounds like the issue is more about time than money. If that's the case - take a little time off - buy a bunch of beer and get your friends together for a build.

77TexasBronc

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Baytown Texas
Finish it. If you get another one for a DD then it just takes up more time and money tinkering on it instead of the main project. Its hard to stay motivated if more projects start piling up. Good luck with your choice....

Jabo76

Loc.
Raleigh
Rally all of your local Bronco buds to come over and wrench with you. Supply food and drink and get that thing going.

ShortBus

Cut some corners and drive it. Mine has been down for three months for an engine rebuild and tranny swap. I will be driving it tomorrow. The rest of the project will be done over a series of weekends with the idea that it will always remain driveable. When I finish the mechanicals, it will go down for a month for paint. Set some goals and do the minimum to get it done. use your old parts, until you have the time and money to get and install the new ones. Good job getting this far!;D

helo-mech

Buy a DD and work on the frame off when you can.

I agree. If you have one that you can use as a DD you will still be able to get your "Bronco" fix, while your project is done right. Think about it. If it took 10 years to get the project perfect, it wouldn't really be that bad cause you would have another to drive.

I think everyone is thinking that you are thinking about getting rid of your project and buying another. If I understand you correctly you are talking about buying another AND keeping your project. One to drive and one to work on. If this is the case then HELL YEAH buy another as a DD.

Last edited:

Bitch'nBronco

Contributor
Loose Cannon
Loc.
Havre De Grace, MD
Finish it. Im in the same boat, 3 years and I want nothing more than to drive it. I only got to drive it one time before I tore into it, and I wanna drive it real bad. Gettin close tho. Maybe buy another on on top of the one youre buildin just to stay passified. I want to buy another one, but I cant afford it and the little money I have to spend is going towards the finish of my '67

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
Ok, I misunderstood your first post. But still, I say finish it. Don't buy another one. Then you will have TWO of them to work on. Unless you fork out some pretty good coin, you probably aren't going to get a reliable DD as a second one. Then, you will have to most likely spend time and money on your "new" DD, instead of working on finishing your project.

OP
OP
JHD

JHD

Loc.
Colorado Springs
Cut some corners and drive it.

NO!

You guys have me pretty well convinced to just keep going. I have been thinking about getting a DD that doesn't need any major work but I would probably end up having to drop alot of cash (enough to finish mine) or getting a new money pit that would end up sitting.

This is where i'm at now for reference.

Thanks and keep the advice comming.

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
I only got to drive it one time before I tore into it, and I wanna drive it real bad.

Wow. Same exact thing here. The only time I drove it was right after I bought it. Drove it home, put it in the garage, and started ripping it apart. Although I am still a ways off, I am starting to see some light at the end of the tunnel (although the light is pretty darn small!! %) )