• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

First Sounds of my Homebuilt 427 Stroker

airbur

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Castle Pines, CO
Yesterday was my son's 4th birthday party, the day our Colorado Build-and-BBQ team fired up the 5.0L EFI transplant Bronco, and also the day I turned the key for the first time on my 427 stroker project. Good day!

I built this engine without any previous experience. I've never installed an engine, let alone, built one from scratch. I didn't even know what EFI stood for (or any of the other 100 acronyms I've since learned.) The only work I contracted out was the block prep and balancing. Everything else was assembled by me (I did have Rox Crusher, Viperwolf1, Landshark, and a few others over to help me hoist the engine, C4, and xfer case into place..thanks guys!). I mention this so that those thinking about doing something similar, or even a more subdued 5.0L build, should go for it. Even if you're worried about your skills.

Thanks to everyone on CB.com, Alpine Classic Broncos, Colorado Classic Broncos, and the Bronco Hut for answering my random questions here and there. I still have a few things to finish up....tranny cooler, bleeding Hydroboost and MC etc., exhaust pipes and a dyno/tune.

I've used quite a few aftermarket items including all new Mustang EFI parts. Happy to answer any questions or post a list of parts for those interested.

Build Thread Started

Build Thread Continued

[youtube]NlqmDjaDneA[/youtube]

[youtube]eEzWtIdze8A[/youtube]

Attachments

• photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 161
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:

Rox Crusher

Bronco Guru
Congratulations Eric !

That took a big leap of faith on your part to do and I agree with your advice................quit doubting yourself and get out there and JUST DO IT !

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Absolutely fantastic!! And FWIW...I've been an engine builder (including a stint in a pro shop) for over 35 years..and I still get exactly the same thrill and same grins from starting, for the first time, anything I've built . Ya just never get over that.

Very nice piece of work.

ilovemaui

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pacific Moist West
Very nice work. It looks really good. What Pro M maf are you running?

The ecu is looking for scalars based on 302 cid. Be careful not to run too lean.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Sounds like you need a bigger starter or less advance - but holy hell does that sound awesome!

EFI Guy

Sponsor/Vendor
TheEFIguy@gmail
Loc.
BFE
Awesome ! Congrats Eric !

Nothing puts a smile on my face like the first time hearing a build fire off.

Also, if you want help with the tune, I'd be glad to come down and spend a couple of hours getting your base tune dialed in, free of charge. (I do demand a ride in it it though ;D ). It would probably save you some valuable time at the dyno and keep you from needing to trailer it there.

mattt

Bronco Guru
Sounds like you need a bigger starter or less advance - but holy hell does that sound awesome!

Agreed! Timing is probably off. I remember that day, 2+ years ago....it's a great feeling to turn the key and something actually starts.

OP
OP
airbur

airbur

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Castle Pines, CO
Awesome ! Congrats Eric !

Nothing puts a smile on my face like the first time hearing a build fire off.

Also, if you want help with the tune, I'd be glad to come down and spend a couple of hours getting your base tune dialed in, free of charge. (I do demand a ride in it it though ;D ). It would probably save you some valuable time at the dyno and keep you from needing to trailer it there.

Thanks! I may take you up on that:)

EFI Guy

Sponsor/Vendor
TheEFIguy@gmail
Loc.
BFE
One more thing, I assume SCI was a typo and you meant SCT ?

I would recommend a Moates Quarter Horse instead. The real time data logging and emulation makes it far superior to anything else for early Fords.

ak68

I'm running a moates quarterhorse in my 393w and it is a steep learning curve. It is amazing to tune while you are running the engine to get immediate feedback. When I get to Colorado later this year with my bronco I will look someone up with better experience than me to get my tune perfect.

OP
OP
airbur

airbur

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Castle Pines, CO
One more thing, I assume SCI was a typo and you meant SCT ?

I would recommend a Moates Quarter Horse instead. The real time data logging and emulation makes it far superior to anything else for early Fords.

I've done a bunch of research into all the options. I was first all over the Quarterhorse but as I learned more, I shifted focus towards getting 4 pro tunes with the SCT chip (thanks) and leaving it at that.

I could still go either way.....but need convincing that the learning curve with the Quarterhorse isn't that bad.

While I'm a techie all the way, I just don't want to be fiddling with this and that all the time as far as the tune goes.

EFI Guy

Sponsor/Vendor
TheEFIguy@gmail
Loc.
BFE
I have zero experience using SCT, I don't use them because of politics, not because they are inferior. If it wasn't for SCT most of us would still be in the dark for tuning early Fords. That being said, tuning a Ford is pretty much the same no matter which way you go. Most of the screen shots I've seen of various programs look almost identical.

I'm sure that SCT does dumb it down quite a bit. I think you can just enter which injectors and MAF you are using and it automatically enters the values. Whereas with a QH you need to enter it manually. This isn't too bad to do if you are using parts with known values, and it looks like you are. Templates are pretty much readily available for this and it makes it pretty much copy and paste.

I'd still be lying if I said there wasn't a steep learning curve. The biggest thing is that it is just overwhelming at first. If you take it in little steps it isn't so bad. The hardest part by far is dialing in your idle. I still use a little notebook that I have taken notes in to dial in idle.

I have no idea how SCT's pro tunes do this correctly without some way to real time data log. I've played with very similar engines quite a bit and they all seem to like different values. So I'm not sure how that works, but real time data logging is just a must have feature IMHO.

The other thing I have noticed on a few of the "canned tunes" I've seen is dumbing down of tables. Like disabling all of the various altitude spark tables and only using the sea level table (just one example). This works great and simplifies it a bunch (especially for drag cars), but I believe some driveability is sacrificed here. Especially for those of us that may have a 7k feet change in altitude throughout the day. I believe the Ford engineers had good reason for the various tables, so I leave them be, unless we are talking a drag car. I use all the tables daily driving my Stang, and switch to the "simplified" set up when at the strip. Now I'm not saying SCT does this, I don't know if they do or not, but it is common practice in a lot of the "canned tunes" I've seen.

Anyway, that's my take on it. If you decide to go QH, I'll come spend a couple of hours getting you dialed in. You can later get it perfected on a dyno, but once your tune is perfected you shouldn't have to fiddle with it at all. If you decide to go SCT I won't blame you a bit. Sometimes simplicity is just best.

ilovemaui

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pacific Moist West
The learning curve is steep with the QH or any of the other self tuning hardware assuming you have no tuner experience. I am in the novice stage after playing with QH and attending a class at their facility.

I have never used SCT so I can't speak for the quality of the tune. The only issue I see is that you'll need to provide very good information for someone to write a custom tune and if you make mods you'll need a new tune. I would be curious to see how it works out for you. If it's already running an SCT tune will probably work.

I would, however, recommend a wideband O2 sensor. A wideband is essential if you go with self tuniing hardware and software. Running too lean and the engine goes boom! Running too rich and your wasting gas and flooding the engine. It's usually pretty easy to tell if you're running rich, because you'll smell it. Too lean and the engine will run hot. The gasoline actually helps cool the cylinders.

Here is a link to the Ford GUFX strategy if you want some learning. GUFB Strategy Doc

If EFI guy is willing to come over and help you dial it in I would by all means go with the QH. I don't have that luxury in my neck of the woods, so I'm learning as I go. Having a local guy with knowledge is invaluable and you'll have the opportunity to get it set up right. The Moates JayBird and the F3 module to load the tune. You'll also need Binary Editor to program and datalog. Moates. Craig Moates is a great guy.

You can use Tuner HP for free, but it is free for a reason.

Last edited:

TwoDalesDad

Bronco Guru
Congrats on your success! !! For myself and probably every other gearhead...the sounds that a new engine make, along with the smells of raw horsepower....those are just frickin awesome....i have fired many many enginez in my day...and i stil get off every time.....congratts again