• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Fixing one issue has led to another... Caution electric inside...

BluebroncoNC

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Asheville, NC
So, my original issue, my starter would not shut off on starting the engine led me to change out the Voltage regulator, the battery, the ignition switch and the starter. Problem solved. Now the starter shuts off after starting the engine.

However.

Now the Bronco will not shut off when I turn the key to the off position.

What possible gremlin is causing this issue? %)

Millercorey

Sure the solenoid is wired up correctly? Mine was wired correctly but ended up being bad so the engine we turn off when I’m off position. A quick replacement had me back up and running....and not running when needed

tatersalad

Bronco Guru
Sounds like a solenoid issue. Also I replaced a regulator and battery once and it wasn't charging because the contacts in the wiring needed to be cleaned/scuffed.

OP
OP
BluebroncoNC

BluebroncoNC

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Asheville, NC
Sure the solenoid is wired up correctly? Mine was wired correctly but ended up being bad so the engine we turn off when I’m off position. A quick replacement had me back up and running....and not running when needed

Didn't mess with the wiring around the solenoid, but as the next poster mentioned, it could have become an issue due to the previous issue. I didn't change it out.

FordBronc

Contributor
Bronco's, yea I have a couple.
Loc.
Polk County, Missouri
Sounds to me that the original issue was a "stuck or welded internal contacts" on the eng compartment mounted starter solenoid. And changing all those other parts caused a new issue. Are you 100% sure the ign wires went back on properly?

OP
OP
BluebroncoNC

BluebroncoNC

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Asheville, NC
Sounds to me that the original issue was a "stuck or welded internal contacts" on the eng compartment mounted starter solenoid. And changing all those other parts caused a new issue. Are you 100% sure the ign wires went back on properly?

Yea, triple checked the ignition switch wiring.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
check ignition wires for hot condition while engine is off and go from there.

is the wire from start switch hot when off?

or is wire from starter relay hot when off?

OP
OP
BluebroncoNC

BluebroncoNC

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Asheville, NC
check ignition wires for hot condition while engine is off and go from there.

is the wire from start switch hot when off?

or is wire from starter relay hot when off?

Why didn't I think to check that. Thanks, will do so when I get back at the truck tomorrow... Have to make a trip down to Charlotte this evening. May just grab another solenoid while at it....

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Quick solenoid check.

With the engine running and the ignition switch turned off, pull off the "I" wire on the solenoid.

Engine stops running, the "I" post is bad and is always hot.
Engine keeps running, other issues.

With the engine not running, disconnect the voltage regulator plug. Start the engine and try to turn it off.
Now shuts off, the regulator is back feeding the ignition. Your regulator is bad or wired incorrectly.
Engine still keeps running, you have other issues.

Do you have an aftermarket ignition box like an MSD? I have seen those keep running with very little backfeeding.

OP
OP
BluebroncoNC

BluebroncoNC

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Asheville, NC
Quick solenoid check.

With the engine running and the ignition switch turned off, pull off the "I" wire on the solenoid.

Engine stops running, the "I" post is bad and is always hot.
Engine keeps running, other issues.

With the engine not running, disconnect the voltage regulator plug. Start the engine and try to turn it off.
Now shuts off, the regulator is back feeding the ignition. Your regulator is bad or wired incorrectly.
Engine still keeps running, you have other issues.

Do you have an aftermarket ignition box like an MSD? I have seen those keep running with very little backfeeding.
Awesome, will investigate over the weekend.