• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Floor board / brace install help

sterry

Loc.
Tomball, TX
Hello all,

Wondering if anyone has run into this problem... Installing new floor board sheet metal with corresponding floor brace. Forward most brace and floor board piece where the driver and passengers feet would be. The transmission hump bends are in significantly different places between the sheet metal and the floor brace. These are both new pieces purchased from Wild Horses (I think - its been years since I actually purchased them). The floor brace turns up to create the transmission tunnel well before the floor board is expecting it to, on both sides, if that make any sense. Result is, the floor board can not lay flat on the brace as it approaches the tunnel, nor on the top of the tunnel. I've got the body mount bolts in both pieces, so everything should be lined up good relative to the frame. Not sure if I've got bad sheet metal, or a bad brace, or if I'm doing something wrong that I can't put my head around (which is totally possible :)).

Thanks in advance if anyone has any ideas.

Scott

OP
OP
S

sterry

Loc.
Tomball, TX
Picture / Measurements

Here's the best pic I could get. This is on the passenger side (similar situation on drivers side). Both pieces, the floor panel and the brace, are touching the inner rocker panel. The picture shows how both pieces line up at the transmission tunnel. I took everything apart and took a couple measurements... On the passenger side, from the outer most point (where they contact the inner rocker) to the start of the rise for the transmission tunnel, the floor pan measures 16.5" and the brace measures 16" even. Similar issue on the drivers side.

I also have a '66 Bronco that I was able to take a measurement from, but the floor in that one has been hacked on so much, I don't fully trust any measurements, but best I can tell, it measures 16.5" from the inner rocker to the start of the transmission tunnel rise on the passenger side. Seems to indicate that my floor pan may be right, but the brace is just off...

Attachments

• IMG_4390.jpg
    IMG_4390.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:

71 CA Bronco

Have you tried clamps or even through bolting? Sheet metal screws help too but that's probably too much gap for the screws. You can always weld up an y holes later. I bought some long reach clamps when I did mine. If you start at the top of the tunnel and work your way down you might be able to take up the difference. My 2 cents worth...

1970 Palmer

No aftermarket part is going to fit perfect "out of the box". It's going to require some massaging to get the necessary fitment. I would work from the middle, out towards the ends. You have no way of knowing if the new mounting holes are in the correct locations. Cleeco's are a great help when doing this kind of work.

John

OP
OP
S

sterry

Loc.
Tomball, TX
Thanks for the suggestions. I had thought about the sheet metal screws, but it's just so far off, didn't think that would work. May have to try the bolts, or find some clamps that I can get in there...