• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Flywheel & clutch install

HoosierDaddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The search function had to dig back to 2002 to find the answer I needed on this. Just thought I'd start up a newer one .. feel free to add any newer info regarding flywheels if you like.

The flywheel will only go on one way , that is , the holes will line up in only one position in order to keep the balance correct.

Not a word was written about that in my Chiltons.

Later,
HD

Last edited:

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I remember the first timeI installed the flywheel. On my back under the truck. I could not figure for the life of me why I could only get one bolt started. Took it off, fingered all the bolts, they went in fine. Hung the flywheel, got one started, then none of the rest. apart and together again and again. Then I noticed that the spacing was just so slightly different between a couple of the holes. Crammed my head and a drop light up against the floor and spun the flywheel until all the holes lined up. At that point all the bolts fingered in perfectly.

Took me ~2 hours?

OP
OP
HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Where the heck does the pilot bearing/bushing go?
I'm guessing the throwout is the one on the clutch fork .... ?
My Chilton must be too old or something , it ain't worth a damn .

Desert Thrasher

Bronco Guru
The pilot bearing goes in the hole in the end of the crank. Its for the input of the trans to go into.

OP
OP
HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
So I should drop the Press. plate and clutch before I get any further .... :(

77TnBronco

Loc.
Kodak Tennessee
Get a roller pilot bearing.

Seal the flywheel bolts so you dont get an oil leak.

Use the flywheel dowel pins. You can pick up a virbration by not using them.

OP
OP
HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
OK , I've read the various ways to remove the bushing/bearing , do the new ones go back in pretty easy ?

.... or should I take a 3lb hammer to my crank ? :) (joke)

Flywheel dowel ? Have to do a search on that ....

OP
OP
HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I find it funny that I have read a billion posts about people having to change a clutch , but have never read any of the particulars that I have run into and you guys are throwing out here.
Keep posting them up , some other newbie might find this useful later on.
And Thanks for the help!

Edit: of course this never popped up when I looked before ; http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93781&highlight=flywheel+dowel+pins

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Get a roller pilot bearing.

Seal the flywheel bolts so you dont get an oil leak.

Use the flywheel dowel pins. You can pick up a virbration by not using them.

I disagree with the roller pilot bearing...that's a nasty environment with clutch dust everywhere and the bearings I've run in the past have not fared well. Since they are a roller bearing, when they fail, they tend to take out the input shaft at the same time. I will say that I now have a killer alignment tool made from the input shaft though...much better than those little plastic jobbies the clutch companies throw into their kits.

I'll personally run SAE bronze/oilite plain bearings (bushing) in my rigs. I just did a clutch on my F150 last weekend and no dowels either, but I agree that they'd be a good idea if your flywheel/pressure plate combination is machined for them. Certainly couldn't hurt.

Tobin

Tobin

77TnBronco

Loc.
Kodak Tennessee
Flywheel dowel ? Have to do a search on that ....

Dowels or locator pins center your presure plate on the flywheel. As you can imagine the slightest amount of off center can cause a vibration in the drivetrain.

An unbalanced drivetrain is alot more noticable in your hot rod or race car than it would be in my rattle trap Bronco. Ive broke them on the track in my cobra and could tell instantly I picked up a vibration. Later to find the pins broke.

The roller or needle type pilot bearing always stirs a debate. Ive never had a Ford or NAPA brand needle fail within a clutch life. With either type used you should change out with a new clutch, cheap insurance.

Great to see various opinons and or expirences with a variety of different parts or methods.