• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

For the t-case gurus

Jazona

Loc.
Prescott Valley, AZ
Have a t shift t-case and both the flanges at the rear of the case are leaking bad. Can I safely remove these to put new gaskets and a new seal at the output shaft without bearings, shims, gears, ect. falling out onto the ground or down into the case necessitating a complete r&r?
Thanks for any help.

74bronc

Bronco Guru
If you pull the output assembly out (rear driveshaft), all the needle bearings will fall out which go on the inside side of the output shaft. The input shaft (spud shaft) holds these needles in. It isn't too big of a deal as long as you pull the lower cover and fish them all out. I think there are 9 of them, but I could be wrong. It was quite a surprise when I pulled the first one apart and all those little buggers fell. Thought I was screwed.

On the front output shaft, just remove the front driveline, remove the yoke nut and yoke, remove the cover and replace the gasket. not hard at all and nothing will fall out on you on that one.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
you should be able to pull just rear yoke and get to the rear seal with no problems

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The good thing about the D20 is that nothing is spring loaded (except the detent balls) you can pull it apart without stuff flying away. As long as the parts go back in the same place, all is good.

OP
OP
J

Jazona

Loc.
Prescott Valley, AZ
Thanks, exactly what I needed to know. I've had way too many bearings fall down into a case and not be able to put the darn thing back together. Good idea on the other thread about putting sealant on the bolt threads, I might try that first.

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
If you decide to do the rear drive assembly you can stick the roller bearings back in place with thick wheel bearing grease before you replace the shaft. Then you can re-seal the bottom cover with a little RTV, for me it worked better than the stock gasket for some reason. Just my $0.02 worth.

~BH