• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

For Those Of You Who Have A Working Coyote Bronco

Jamie Chriss

I am in the late stages of finishing up on a complete tub build. I have convinced myself to go Coyote! For those who have already gone this route are you completly happy with how the truck drives, would you do it again?

My Options, number one is to go Coyote, all in, everything new or
a built 351 with Pro flo 3, new transmission, front and rear axels, fuel system, basically nothing on the truck right now will stay.

For me reliability s a really big factor. I would appreciate any ones honest opinion on this subject. The rough cost beween the two motor set ups is approx 3K give or take.

James

Attachments

• DSC_6565.jpg
    DSC_6565.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 129

broncosam

Contributor
Bronco Guru
My vote is a Windsor.

I know everyone has an opinion and a right to it and everyone wants something unique for their own build. But for me I have to agree with "bronconut73". I'm an old fart ,if you go the coyote route that means a ton of sensors,a processor and everything else that the engine will need to run. Just like a modern day brand new vehicle. I for one prefer a 302 or 351 with a distributor and a carburetor,which for me is something simple and I can keep running without having to have a bunch diagnostic tools to find a problem should one arise.

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
I would go EFI 351 - modern convenience and power in a traditional sized package. The Coyote packaging is brutal and the engine compartment is so small. Just getting power steering will cost you a metric crap ton of time and money because they do not have accommodation for that on the Coyote.

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
For best fit go with a 302 block stroked. You can get plenty of HP out of it.

nickgp

Bronco Guru
Another vote for 351w. I'm rolling one now in my 68. Went w fi tech injection and MSD for dist. Drivability is excellent and it didn't break the bank.

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
I like the ease of installation on the 302. You stroke them and they put out a lot of torque and with the kits you can get now it isn't much more than a stock rebuild. Still plenty of room under the hood to work on. Don't know how much power your looking for but around 400hp and the same torque is not to hard to achieve. Ken

charlie6976

Loc.
Grand Coulee WA
...how about starting with a six or ten speed transmission (or your choice), then rear end ratios that work/you want with the transmission. Then see what engine works best for you. I read somewhere there are already adaptors for the six/ten speeds to the dana 20. Some say you wouldn't use the three over drives, but wouldn't that let you use a lower rear end ratio?:)

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
I like the ease of installation on the 302. You stroke them and they put out a lot of torque and with the kits you can get now it isn't much more than a stock rebuild. Still plenty of room under the hood to work on. Don't know how much power your looking for but around 400hp and the same torque is not to hard to achieve. Ken

You are going to do what you want to do, pure and simple. (My Dad's words)
Some folks enjoy the challenge of getting that motor in a Bronco, regardless of the cost difference. (Which I think is more than $3K, based on watching a Buddy do this conversion).
The Windsor family of engines is designed to fit there and with EFI and stroking they will give you the same that a Coyote can with a lot more space. (And less hassles) But maybe not the same Bling factor.

Whichever direction you take, I wish you success. Post pictures! Doug

OP
OP
Jamie Chriss

Jamie Chriss

I love this question, for the Bronco masses I think most purist would go with either a built 302 or 351. My inclination would be towards the 351 with a modern EFI like the Pro 3. But I see there are allot of Coyote builds on this site, are any of them running yet? My question is if you went Coyote what is your experience, would you do it again, what is the driving experience like, can there be too many horses for a Bronco? On my build everything is being replaced regardless so I am incurring some big expenses either way. I am keeping this one.

Local Boy

Loc.
Mililani, Hawaii
Road Runner Motor FTW!

If you are going big... GO NUCLEAR!

408 Stroked 351w
BigStuff3 ProSEFI
600+ Hp
More "Bling" than anything out there...
Sitting in a 2018 XCON BR #18-0001 (74 Body on a '76 undercarriage)

Absolutely runs over the top of anything in its path, including Coyote's ;D

...and NO, there is never too much power...:cool:

Drives awesome...the exhaust note scares women and children...and make men snap their necks to see what the fu#$k is that!!! Hehehehehe...

I call it the Road Runner motor...

After all, Willey Coyote never could catch the Road Runner! :eek:

Blaze your own trail, my friend...

Good luck with your build!

Aloha

Attachments

• IMG_1679.JPG
    IMG_1679.JPG
    148.3 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_1680.JPG
    IMG_1680.JPG
    128.9 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:

American180

Loc.
Mount Washington, Ky
This is a loaded question. Everyone's best way might be best for them but not necessarily best for someone else. When you talk about the price difference, you have to look at the complete picture. Fuel systems, transmissions, cooling systems, etc. Horsepower costs money. The easy route would be to stick with a 302 or 351.

The reason I chose to go with a coyote conversion was smooth reliable power and the 6R80. Say what you want but no aftermarket fuel inject is more reliable than a factory original. I want to be able to use this as a daily driver if I chose to or drive it across country with out a second thought. With the 6R80 you get a 4 speed with 2 overdrives compared to a 4r70 with 3 speed with 1 overdrive. I drive two F150's on a regular basis. One with 4r70 and one with 6r80. Hands down the 6r80 is better transmission. I'm using factor ECM, wiring and sensors. That's as reliable as it gets.

OP
OP
Jamie Chriss

Jamie Chriss

American 180, I think in the back of my mind I feel the same way! On the surface a well build 351 is all a Bronco needs, but the reliability of a new motor intices me. I would love to hear from a few Bronco people who are actuall driving their Coyote powered Bronco down the street. My build regardless is expensive, I am replacing every thing but the dash panel and tailgate. Most people go into this with replacing this and that so they have big choices to make, I have nothing but a tail gate and dash to deal with, so I am faced with replacing everything so deciding between the two isn't totally out of reach. Honestly there has to be a few ClassicBroncos gurus driving around with nice Coyote motors, that have some great insight, right? Again thank you all for ingaging in the conversation with me, god bless this great site, with all these great people, who are passonate about their trucks!

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Reliability is or should be better with a factory type setup. But that doesn't mean it will be. There's plenty of issues with the coyote engines that could pop up. But its relative 10 people may have no issues but yours is that one and that's no matter if you go factory or aftermarket.
Build what you want and deal with whatever may happen if it happens. The coyote is not that issue prone so I wouldn't sweat it much.
I prefer the older setups just a whole lot simpler and better fitting IMO. big HP numbers of the 5.0 are nice to brag about but in most cases a waste in a bronco. A decent 250-300hp small block is easy to attain and there is really no reliability factor with them.

OP
OP
Jamie Chriss

Jamie Chriss

The meaning of this post was to elicit a response from actual Bronco people driving around with bitchen Coyote motors.. I see there are allot of Bronco people building Coyote Broncos but is anyone actually driving one?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
A 351W based engine will get you on the road faster. I think a lot of the Coyote builds are really big builds and really long term projects. So where you may see a handful of builds, not that many are running yet.

Go look up the post I started years ago "20 questions for stroker owners" and read what they say. One of the rules I started with was they had to be driving it for a year before they can comment so you get real answers and not just the joy of the first test drive. That will give you a real good flavor of what a 351W based engine can do. It is a very educational thread.

OP
OP
Jamie Chriss

Jamie Chriss

Thansk! I have so long to go with my tub and drivetrain I can spend more time doing it right. I really appreciate your response and I will take a read.

Attachments

• IMG_0605.jpg
    IMG_0605.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 77

STalon89

The meaning of this post was to elicit a response from actual Bronco people driving around with bitchen Coyote motors.. I see there are allot of Bronco people building Coyote Broncos but is anyone actually driving one?

I dont think drivability should be the concern. The issue is wrench time/cost to make it work. The coyote is going to run as expected, but the problem is time spent making it work in the truck. You'll need a lot of swap specific parts, and as you can imagine, not cheap. If I didnt have a second truck on the road, I dont think I would have built this coyote and would have went an easier more common route. Plan on it taking twice as long, at least.