• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

For those with the Do-It-Yourself bedliners

Newby

Loc.
Thorndale
I know when spray liners first started coming out, you could put a piece of tape over holes and stuff that you wanted to hide and it wouldn't show up. That was back when liners were thicker though. I know liners now show body lines and stuff alot better than they did before. I also know that the Do-It-Yourself liners are even thinner than the spray liners. My question is, if I have some holes that I want to hide under the liner, can I place a piece of tape over these holes and just role the liner on? Or will there be this stange square where the outlines of the tape showed up. I've got a few holes to hide, but holes look better than strange random squares.

grant_71

Bronco Guru
I used Duraback (some say its the same as Herculiner) and i wish i would have taken the time to fill a few more holes before i did it. Although it did hide some of the "not perfect" bodywork on the inside of the tailgate. It did fill some of the holes, but it shrunk a little when it dried so you can still see where they were. If i was you i would tape the backside, then do a real quick fill with some cheapo body filler, smooth with your finger, and go from there. To answer your question, i believe the tape will show up.

Grant

Duke Nukem

Loc.
Simi Valley
I recently did my engine bay with spray-on liner. I agree wit deltarat, for the best results you should weld up any holes. Then grind the material flat and spray. It is more work but it will make a big difference in the quality of the results.

Heus33

Bronco Guru
The Herculiner I used was THICK - thicker than tar so yes, it would cover up a taped over hole but fix it the right way as others have mentioned.

The herculiner I used filled in scratches and seams really well. there are pics in my gallery. <------

fireman1749

Loc.
Clarksville, TN
I used a UPOL product called Raptor Liner, got it off of ebay... I welded a few holes up, smaller ones filled up when I sprayed it on....

Attachments

• DSC00194.JPG
    DSC00194.JPG
    56.3 KB · Views: 100
  • DSC00195.JPG
    DSC00195.JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 135
  • DSC00197.JPG
    DSC00197.JPG
    55.9 KB · Views: 118

scottmcwms

Loc.
Montgomery, TX
Weld up the holes. You don't want a soft spot under your bedliner. You're asking for trouble. It will end up being the starting spot for the liner to start peeling.

Scott

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Those spray/roll on bed liners aren't for everyone! Think long and hard before you put one on. Mots put one on because the are wanting a quick fix for a less than perfect tub. They do cover a lot of body sins but arte next to impossible to reverse. I just had mine painted and would never consider such an awful goopy look!

mr incredible

Bronco Guru
heck ,, i said screw it ,, and did the whole truck in it ,,

Attachments

• Copy (2) of saturdayrun1.jpg
    Copy (2) of saturdayrun1.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 128

mp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Austin, TX
Use the POR putty stuff to plug smaller holes if you cannot or are too lazy to weld. Great stuff for under bedliner.

OP
OP
Newby

Newby

Loc.
Thorndale
No welder here and just don't feel like hauling the rig all over town to pay someone to plug up screw holes. There aren't that many and I was looking for a simple fix. As far as painting. I had that thought and honestly would rather do that, but when it rains, water stands inside my rig. It's not alot, but I've started to notice that little speckled rust spot stuff that you get from water standing. Just wanted to solve a problem, before it was a problem. Maybe I'm going the wrong way with this.

Duke Nukem

Loc.
Simi Valley
All you need is to find a friend with a MIG welder and buy him a few beers! Personally I like the look of bedliner if its done right.

Sbolt19

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Colorado Springs
Those spray/roll on bed liners aren't for everyone! Think long and hard before you put one on. Mots put one on because the are wanting a quick fix for a less than perfect tub. They do cover a lot of body sins but arte next to impossible to reverse. I just had mine painted and would never consider such an awful goopy look!

Thats not true what so ever. Most people do it because they want some protection in the bed, not because they have dings and dents. Yeah, there are people that use it to cover up flaws, but don't lump everyone into that category like the are hiding things. If you do it right it isn't goopy at all and looks damn good. I would much rather have the protection of a bedliner and have the added non-skid qualities than having a painted surface where things will slide around and possibly slide into the tailgate, sides or even the seats and beat them up. Don't knock it unless you got it. %)

KJHill

Contributor
Loc.
Central WA
When I rolled Hurculiner on mine it covered up tons of little screw holes. That stuff is very thick! My only complaints are that it is so abrassive that if you bump your arm on it your going to look like you've got road rash & that it's hard to keep clean (dust likes to stick to it). I probablly covered up holes up to 1/4. Now if I could just cover up the other 30-50 holes that are bigger than 1/4 it would help keep the exhaust smell out... I'm not into the show-car looks look. ;D

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I've ridden in Broncos with spray-on bedliner and would rather have insulation and a vinyl bed mat. Things slide around with the spray-on, it's noisy, and my dog's feet get burned. I still think people have gone Line-X crazy!%)

bigbadktm

Loc.
East CountySan Diego
i plan to try the dupli-color brand bed liner that wal-mart carries. i have a little body straightening to do before i get to that point though. I like the look of the liner over the carpet i have in now.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Check out "Auto Custom Carpets". I bought a really nice full vinyl mat with insulation. It even came in colors with wheel well covers. Very thick and durable! Cleans upeasily and fit excellent.;D

hammer

Bronco Guru
Check out "Auto Custom Carpets". I bought a really nice full vinyl mat with insulation. It even came in colors with wheel well covers. Very thick and durable! Cleans upeasily and fit excellent.;D

I just checked out their website. Do you have a part number. All thats coming up for the bronco is carpet kits. I've been looking for something along these lines. I don't want to do a bed liner. I'd like something like this that covered the whole interior. http://www.truckstuffusa.com/molheavbedma.html. I know I'm dreaming.......but........