• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Ford 7.3L 'Godzilla' V8 Now Available As Crate Engine

Broncobowsher

Total hack
A crate engine with no harness or computer.
Maybe after they get a whole package I'll look at it.

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Only about 70 pounds more than a 351, but you can always put aluminum heads on a 351
Def would want the harness

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The nice part is it shares the modular V8 bellhousing and crank. So it should be compatible with manual transmissions.

Nothing Special

I'd heard that the crank isn't drilled for a pilot bearing. Or is that in the trucks and the crate engines are? Or are you saying that you can swap a crank from a mod motor in? Or did I just hear wrong?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
You are not swapping a mod motor crank in. I have no idea where that came from.

Usually the pilot hole for the torque convertor is the same as the pilot bearing. What this engine has? buy one and let us know. Because at this moment nobody here has one to look at. So far I have read that someone confirmed the 7.3 bellhousing is the same as the mod motors. What little has been spoken of it, sounds like a manual transmission will work. If not, someone will have to be the first to try and let the rest of the world know the results.

Where on earth did you come up with swapping a mod motor crank into a brand new crate engine? I still can't get over that one. That will have to be the oddest thing I read on the net all day.

Nothing Special

You are not swapping a mod motor crank in. I have no idea where that came from....

Like I said, I've heard very specifically (but possibly very wrong), that the Godzilla crank is not bored for a pilot bearing. But someone here said:

The nice part is it shares the modular V8 bellhousing and crank. So it should be compatible with manual transmissions.

So one possibility is that I heard wrong and the Godzilla will take a manual trans.

Another possibility is you are wrong and it won't.

But while it seems like a really stupid thing to do, IF the Godzilla crank isn't bored for a pilot bearing, and IF as you said, it shares the crank with the mod motors, then perhaps you were saying that someone could swap a mod motor crank into a Godzilla if they wanted a manual.

But it sounds like either what I heard was wrong and the Godzilla will take a manual trans, or else you are wrong and it won't. Because swapping a manual-capable crank sounds just as stupid to you as it did to me.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The bolt pattern where the flywheel bolts on. That is what is rumored to be the same.

OP
OP
mlogan24

mlogan24

Bronco Guru
What blows me away is how fast they brought this to the market as a crate engine. It clearly was intended to to be a fleet engine first, and a crate engine second.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Not all that much to it. Pull an engine off the production line, put a part number on it, you have inventory. The custom part that you need to make it a true crate engine, the harness and a stand alone computer to make it work, that isn't out yet. Knowing how ford Motorsports works, it will still be a couple years until you can get the parts you need to make the engine actually run.

Don't forget another market. If you remember the original specs, this thing is going to make a great boat engine.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
There are platforms out there now that will make it run it’s more of a mater of making the sensors and injectors all play nice with one of those platforms

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Not much of a crate engine if you are on your own to get a computer and wiring to make it run. If you want to do your own EFI it can be done, people had done EFI on a lawn mower engine just to do it. but that takes away from the crate engine approach of opening a crate and dropping in a working engine.

I still remember when the coyote was released the same way. Engine available. control pack and computer coming soon. I want to say it was about 2 years before the coming soon actually arrived.

36Fan

Contributor
Control pack will be released this winter, along with a couple other items.