• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Ford 9" 3rd member: which vendor?

OP
OP
Shimmy

Shimmy

Contributor
1977 Bronco
Loc.
Maple Valley
Thanks for the further suggestions! Pricing is all over on these now that i'm digging in further. Some places say they use "their" own nodular iron case. How do i know if one case is better than another?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
What case is better? So long as it isn't the nut case...
Stock there are 2 basic cases to look for. The standard, or the Nodular. The Nodular was a special casting process that made for a better casting. When they were making them they used an "N" in the mold so later they knew those were the good ones. The N in the mold is mirrored after casting, so you see a raised backwards "N" between the webs above the pinion. In stock form, that is the difference in materials in the castings. There is also small and large carrier bearings, which is completely different than small and large axle bearings.

Going into the aftermarket, anything will be as good or better than a factory Nodular case. How much better? I don't think anyone has ever done real testing of that. You are looking at cases that are way stronger than most standard internals that will go in them, so it doesn't really matter. The aftermarket offers and even larger carrier bearing option for use with aftermarket 35+ spline axles as well. And aluminum carriers if you want to take off a little weight, the basic ones are not that different in price from the aftermarket iron ones as well.

There is also an upgrade on the pinion support as well. While not technically part of the carrier, it does bolt to it and is part of the gear setup. Daytona pinion support adds larger bearings. It was named after the Daytona speedway where sustained high HP loads were cooking the pinion bearings. So they made a different pinion support with larger bearings to support the sustained high loads. It is a common upgrade in building a custom 9" housing, almost standard these days with anything using all aftermarket parts.

A stock carrier will generally do just fine in a Bronco. Hot motor, plan to run it hard? Getting a diff built anyway, any of the aftermarket carriers will do just fine.

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
This bearing failure sounds wild to me! My 68 54 year old axle bearing was so beat I move the axle up and down 1/8" the balls were crushed and work. The outer shileds had come off and were chewed up. That axle kept on turning!

$5k are they rebuilding the engine too?!? That's nuts. $150-$300 to set up R&P if you drop it off clean. I used to do a few Corvettes a year and charged $350 and that include setting up and shimming the plate style posi unit. That job stink and the springs are trying to kill you every second.

People just ask stupid money to see if someone will pay them lately.