• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Ford Mustang MAF EFI donor info

broncosbybart

Bronco Guru
So, I'm putting an electronic fuel injection unit together one piece at a time. Having a hard time searching for some of the info that I am looking for. Can anyone give compatible donor car or vehicle info for the following items? (trying to type as many key words in as I can)

-distributor
-coil
-vehicle speed sensor
-barometric pressure sensor (pretty sure that is limited to the mustang, but)

That about covers it. I plan on sourcing a fuel pump from a late 80's truck. Just about anything externally mounted should work for that, right?

The oxygen sensors and other engine mounted sensors will be new or confirmed to be good. I just scored an Explorer intake and fuel rail setup. I already had a 70MM Crown Vic MAF sensor sitting around and should be getting the A9L and harness today. It is getting hard to find all this stuff, at least for a reasonable price. Thanks!

rjrobin2002

Bronco Guru
Best way to source part vehicles is to go to orielly auto and look up 1991 ford mustang 5.0 parts, then below the part you will see a tab that says "compatability". If you click it you will see hundreds of other vehicles that share the same part.

Go buy a new Mustang coil for 50 bucks, crown vic 5.0 distributor with the TFI connected, dont worry about a VSS, I got my BP sensor off a 91 v6 explorer.

ransil

Bronco Guru
use 1992 mustang Gt 5.0L as the base search go to O'rileys auto parts site and look up the item, then click on the what else it fits button. that will be your junkin vehicle shopping list.

Fuel pump look up 1988 F-250 pick the external pump from the list ( check the other vehicle list broncos & bronco II plus others will be listed).
When I look for donors I look for pumps that are newer looking the pump is mounted in a bracket usually on the frame rail under the drivers feet.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
I would suggest ordering parts from whatever year yours doner Mustang harness and PCM is from. If the harness and PCM are different, match the PCM year.

I have a nice distributor if you want - painted silver.
Coil - any Mustang/Pickup is fine
VSS - ahh, don't need it for anything fuel injection related
BP Sensor - EXACT same as the MAP, one just reads what your altitude is another reads vacuum pressure...

chuzie

Bronco Guru
The MAF sensors are paired to some computer systems though so make sure you double check.

Izzy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Texas
Also, almost forgot. Once you determine the car you need, check out RockAuto.com for the lowest prices on replacement parts. Much easier then walking through junkyards trying to find the part you need.

IE: I used part # SC37T for the VSS from RockAuto.

OP
OP
broncosbybart

broncosbybart

Bronco Guru
This will be my 3rd swap, so I'm starting to get the hang of it. Unfortunately this one is going on a stock EB engine that I have no parts for and don't want to buy it all new. The other 2 were based off of a Mustang and Explorer, which gave me a lot more parts than I am beginning with here...

I scored the BP sensor, correct MAF for the Explorer injectors and throttle body, harness, A9L, coil, and fuel pump.

For the life of me, I couldn't find much on the oldfuelinjection.com website about donor stuff. Looked all over it (quickly) before posting here.

I did pull a VSS and speedometer cable from an 88 Bronco. How in the world are you guys making that work with the stock speedo head? Read a few posts here, but didn't get anywhere conclusive. I'm not running a VSS on the racer and it works good enough, but can tell that it would be better if one was in place.

OP
OP
broncosbybart

broncosbybart

Bronco Guru
Oh, and at the pull-a-part all the 80's Town Cars, Continentals, and similar land yachts appeared to have a similar coil to the Mustang. I couldn't find a good distributor. It seems that people like to pull the cap, rotor, and guts out of them :(

I read on here that the truck distributors probably won't work. Does anyone know for sure?

SpareParts

Bronco Guru
I don't know why a truck distibutor would not work, the newer ones have the TFI module on the fender. Stay away from those unless you want to get the wiring to do a remote mount. Other than that I think all the 302's are the same.

chuzie

Bronco Guru
For the life of me, I couldn't find much on the oldfuelinjection.com website about donor stuff. Looked all over it (quickly) before posting here.

I did pull a VSS and speedometer cable from an 88 Bronco. How in the world are you guys making that work with the stock speedo head? Read a few posts here, but didn't get anywhere conclusive. I'm not running a VSS on the racer and it works good enough, but can tell that it would be better if one was in place.

This is what I did. Works well...
P1040939.jpg

OP
OP
broncosbybart

broncosbybart

Bronco Guru
I don't know why a truck distibutor would not work, the newer ones have the TFI module on the fender. Stay away from those unless you want to get the wiring to do a remote mount. Other than that I think all the 302's are the same.

I read on here about batch fire (truck?) vs. car??? No idea if that is heresay or is true.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA

x2 on this. Everything I have read states that any 5.0 distributor with the TFI mounted to it will work. I would not use a remote TFI setup.

Broncobowsher

Total hack

The car EFI is sequential. There is an odd window in the distributor that the computer references to know when it is dealing with #1 cylinder. the truck batch fire doesn't care where #1 is and generally doesn't have that odd window.

Don't overlook the distributor gear material either. A distributor for a roller cam will fit a flat tappet cam, but the teeth will self destruct and leave metal throughout the engine. Flat tappet distributor and roller cam will do the same.

mattt

Bronco Guru
YMMV....but the 351 distributor that I pulled from a 91 Van had the odd window even though the engine was "early 90's truck batch fire style." I don't know of any other reason besides what bowsher mentioned that the truck distributor wouldn't work.

OP
OP
broncosbybart

broncosbybart

Bronco Guru
Yeah, the distributor gear thing is pretty well documented. What is this 'odd window' you guys speak of? Are the Crown Vics or earlier T-birds/Mustangs (mainly thinking of speed density cars) batch fire? Not exactly sure of what batch fire is or how it affects things.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Speed Density cars are batch fire - meaning it fires the entire bank of injetors at once vs the later car sequential fire multiport injection where only the injector required fires.

I don't think the distrbutors are any different, the odd window is just so the pickup knows where the #1 cylinder is located... I guess I have not paid that close attention though -

What are you after?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Ford always used sequential on the cars, regardless of speed density or MAF.
The truck usually get batch (or bank) fired injectors. Only in the later years of the trucks did they go sequential.

To tell look at the pinout for the computer. It will either state "bank one" and "bank two" if it is batch fired. All the SEFI will have a seperate injector pin for each injector. http://www.oldfuelinjection.com/truckpinouts.html for a little more reference between the two. Look at pins 58 and 59 will really help