• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Front Disc Conversion Pads?

broncosam

Contributor
Bronco Guru
My Bronco has a front disc conversion on it done by a PO. While I have this thing apart I want to put a new set of pads on it but I'm not sure what to get. From looking at everything I'm thinking it will need pads for a late 1970's GM truck or Blazer but I'm not positive. Hoping someone can look at the pictures and give some insight on what brake pads I need. Thanks

Attachments

• DSCF0676.JPG
    DSCF0676.JPG
    220.6 KB · Views: 50
  • DSCF0677.JPG
    DSCF0677.JPG
    205.2 KB · Views: 52
  • DSCF0678.JPG
    DSCF0678.JPG
    222.3 KB · Views: 50

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Mostly correct. The calipers and brackets are specifically for something like a '74 to early '76 GM K5, 10, 20 and maybe even some of the K30's.
From my understanding though, the pads remained the same all the way up into the '80's even though the other major components changed.
I don't remember the common number (a "D46" or something along those lines) but the parts listings should show the same number across many years and truck ratings.

Good luck. Sorry I did not have the exact number memorized. Member PaPitt is always quoting it and I never seem to be able to pull it out of thin air when he's not around.

Paul

WILDHORSES

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
USA
Not seeing much if any clearance between the caliper and knuckle. Could be the angle. As long as you are in there make sure the caliper can move as the pads wear. I like calling it 1975 Chevy Blazer pads.

Jim

.94 OR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Looking through the window of the caliper it appears to have plenty of remaining pad.

The caliper clearance does look suspect though, as I just did mine.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Looks like at least one pad has plenty of meat left on it. Can’t see the other one though, which seems strange.

OP
OP
B

broncosam

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The pads are not worn down too bad, maybe at least half of their life is left, but I just rebuilt everything on the rear brakes and thought that pads aren't going to break my wallet so while I have it apart I would go ahead and put a new set of pads on it. As far as the clearance goes between the caliper and the knuckle, I know they look a bit close but I drove this thing all last spring and summer and never noticed anything unusual in the way it drove or handled.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Not seeing much if any clearance between the caliper and knuckle. Could be the angle. As long as you are in there make sure the caliper can move as the pads wear. I like calling it 1975 Chevy Blazer pads.

Jim

or just get a new correct set up from WH....

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
The pads are not worn down too bad, maybe at least half of their life is left, but I just rebuilt everything on the rear brakes and thought that pads aren't going to break my wallet so while I have it apart I would go ahead and put a new set of pads on it. As far as the clearance goes between the caliper and the knuckle, I know they look a bit close but I drove this thing all last spring and summer and never noticed anything unusual in the way it drove or handled.

That's good.. Safety first specially in these old rigs

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If replacing, now's the time to spend a few extra bucks (maybe) for some high-friction performance pads or something along those lines. One of the higher end products that are not high in metallic content that take time to warm up.
I don't know what brand or model that might be for a Bronco, but I wanted to mention it in case you were given multiple choices in pad materials. Which you likely will be.

paul

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA

The GM brake setup is a sliding design where the caliper will move closer to the knuckle as the pads wear. If the knuckles aren't clearanced correctly, once the pads get below a certain thickness, the calipers can no longer slide to take up the slack and your brakes will not work correctly.

OP
OP
B

broncosam

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The GM brake setup is a sliding design where the caliper will move closer to the knuckle as the pads wear. If the knuckles aren't clearanced correctly, once the pads get below a certain thickness, the calipers can no longer slide to take up the slack and your brakes will not work correctly.
Thanks I did not know that. I'm not real familiar with the GM brakes but have worked on the Ford disc set many times over the years. Can you or someone else post a picture of what and where the knuckles need to be clearanced, and can that be done with the caliper in place or will it need to be done while I am replacing the brake pads. Thanks

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
can that be done with the caliper in place or will it need to be done while I am replacing the brake pads. Thanks
The clearancing needs to be done with the caliper removed from the backing plate.

Todd Z.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Here is an example...

I have found that sometimes you don't have to take as much material off as shown in the pictures.

Attachments

• DSCN3452.JPG
    DSCN3452.JPG
    199.9 KB · Views: 45
  • DSCN3451.JPG
    DSCN3451.JPG
    175 KB · Views: 44
OP
OP
B

broncosam

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks for the help and the pictures. I went out to the garage and took a real close look at what I had and yes the calipers are real close to the knuckles, almost touching on one side. When I pull the calipers loose to install the new pads I'll work on getting the clearance I need on the knuckles.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
FMSI D52 spec pad...basically what GM put on everything from 1968 on for a couple decades. All of the applications noted by folks above will get you what you need. Keep in mind that the caliper body slides inward as the outer brake pad wears, so factor the friction surface thickness into your clearancing on the knuckles.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
In addition to 904s pictures we should have full instructions on our webpage for the disc brake conversion as well. You should be able to use those to good effect.
Nothing wrong with having a couple of points of reference.

OP
OP
B

broncosam

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Sure do appreciate everyone's input and help with this. Thanks

Broncobowsher

Total hack
And if you start to actually shop for brake pads, there are probably over 100 different compounds for that caliper. It is a super popular pad size and many of the big pad manufacturers offer different pad compounds. Wilwood has 8 different compounds alone on the Speedway Motors site. If you get away from the box parts stores and start looking at speciality sites you can find pads that match your needs best. You can get different cold performance (trail use where they don't warm up) hot performance (exiting that downhill exit ramp off the freeway that is a bit too short), dust (keep those wheels pretty), noise, wear, etc...

That is one of the huge benifits I know of using the GM brakes over the Ford brakes. So much more choice in pad material. It is almost like picking a camshaft. So many choices, if you know that there are choices, if you only know of 2 or 3 options, you don't know what you are missing.

OP
OP
B

broncosam

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Got those steering knuckles clearanced this afternoon. End product looks pretty much like the pictures that "904Bronco" posted. I took my time ground a bit off at a time. I think they will be fine. As for brake pads, I've always had good luck with some type of ceramic pad. They seem to wear good with low to almost no brake dust.