• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Front drums stuck on spindles

Yooper74

Trying to remove the spindles from my front drums on a 74. Going to install a duff disk brake kit. They are quite stuck. I've got them soaking in WD 40 overnight and hoping that works its way in but am not optimistic as I tried heat, WD, and a big old hammer with zero luck

Any tips or tricks for getting them apart?

Thanks

bulletpruf

Contributor
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
If you didn't remove the hub, you may want to try that first...

If you removed it, WD40 isn't going to do much. Try Kroil (probably have to order it), or 50/50 (mix of acetone and ATF).

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, what always worked for me was to use a piece of 2x4 wood as a cushion to protect the threads and hit it hard with a big hammer, hitting all around, the top, sides, and bottom until it starts to move. It will move. I have also tried the slide hammer attachment, but I have more success with a big hammer. Good luck

OP
OP
Y

Yooper74

Got them off!

Soaked all night. Ended up flipping them upright and pounding the studs out first. Once studs were out everything popped loose.

Off to machine shop now to get turned to fit new discs on

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
Are you talking about the hub part that is mounted to the drum? If so that makes sense, the studs hold it to the drum. The spindle is bolted to the knuckle on the axle housing and the hub mounts to it with the bearings. I was trying to wrap my head around the problem on the first post, the last post really confuses me. Just curious.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
I'm not trying to be a jerk but How much experience do you have .
Have you removed old drums 4x4 hubs before .
In my mind there 3 reasons they want come off .
1st Shoes have worn the drums & there is about a 1/4 lip that you can't drag the drum over .
2nd CAN YOU BACK OFF THE ADJUSTER & reduce the over all size of the shoe circle .
3rd . do you know there is a steal O'Ring at the edge outside edge . of the hubs .. They can be tough to remove ...
... I must have removed 200 drums in my life & A few years ago I had one I had to break it off . Now mine was a rear drum.
But man that thing took me several days to get off.

OP
OP
Y

Yooper74

Yup, meant to say hub.

Looks to me like previous owner had same issue as part of passenger side drum was actually busted, assuming it broke when he tried to get it off to do a brake job

I’ll post up some pics later.

All good now. Will get hub machined to accept duff disc conversion rotors

Broncobowsher

Total hack
FYI, the drum hubs are different than the disk hubs. Putting disks on a drum hub will get you problems later when you put it all back together.

EPB72

Contributor
Loc.
Pleasant Hill, CA
Generaly when converting to GM front disk brakes you use early 80's F150 front hubs and rotors no machining required ...maybe the duff kit does something different IDK seems strange ,,,NEW Or used hubs might even be cheaper then machining??