• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Front shock mount(s) location...

tdc_worm

Loc.
Austin
I am mentally building my Bronco and have done a ton of lurking on this board. In considering single vs. double front shocks, it seems that the general consensus is that the only advantage that dual shocks would have over singles would be in high speed situations were shock fade would be a concern. However, it also seems that two appropriately valved front shocks can also work just fine on the front end without being too harsh. This brings me to my question:

I have noticed that of the after market shock hoops available, there are two kinds: hoops that split the shocks around the coil springs and hoops that pair the shocks behind the coil springs. Are there any advantages/disadvantages or better or worse applications for either type of mount.

I know that there are a few people whom are going to tell me to spend my money on something more functional. That's fine, but I am going to spend my money how I want to spend my money, so save your time...

Thanks for all your help!

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
If you go with single shocks up front you can run the single f-250 mounts. The are like $25 instead of $180 for a hoop. If you run a hoop with the shock mounted in front of the coil it will have a stiffer ride than the behind the coil.

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
Duals are just for looks in 99% of the circumstances. Most of the trophy trucks I've seen run one large diameter shock with an external reservoir. Save your money and run F-250 mounts with a properly valved shock.

bronko69er

EB Addict
Loc.
Renton, WA
If you are concerned about limiting travel, Its hard to stuff a long enough shock up infront of the wheel that wont limit travel.
I run 2 14" travel cage shock behind the coil and it's not too rough at all.

OP
OP
T

tdc_worm

Loc.
Austin
Duals are just for looks in 99% of the circumstances. Most of the trophy trucks I've seen run one large diameter shock with an external reservoir. Save your money and run F-250 mounts with a properly valved shock.

I know that there are a few people whom are going to tell me to spend my money on something more functional. That's fine, but I am going to spend my money how I want to spend my money, so save your time...

thanks for your help and assuming that everyone's building a truck the same way you would. its not a trophy truck now nor do i intend it to be.

If you are concerned about limiting travel, Its hard to stuff a long enough shock up infront of the wheel that wont limit travel.
I run 2 14" travel cage shock behind the coil and it's not too rough at all.

the application is for my street beater. so while maximum offroad do-it-all-ability isn't a concern; on road manners, mild trail riding, and a bit of the bling factor do have some value... the bottom line is that the truck will probably eventually have dual shocks up front, i was just curious what some pros/cons may be with different setups... most of what has been posted seems to make sense, even the response that i specifically asked to not have...

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
Here is my take. I had the old school dual shock mounts for years. They are useful in on-road handling, but limit travel and in my opinion work against each other. If you are going to run duals look into something like the cage dual setup. I went with the cage shocks in the second incarnation of my Bronco. Wish I could give you some feedback on them, but I am still a few weeks from having it on the road.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
By placing the shock in front of the axle, there is more damping action. The shock in front has slightly more travel then the wheel does.

Shock behind the axle is the opposite. you get moe inches of travel out of the wheel then travel out of the shock.

Old school didn't care that much about wheel travel, so placing them in front stiffened up the ride a touch extra and was a very convienent place to mount them. Later the factory even copied it.

Today people are trying to get more travel, so mounting the shocke behind the axle gives better travel. 10" of shock travel might give 11" of wheel travel.

Jerrod4567

Loc.
Bakersfield CA
Shocks mounted in front of the coil get in the way of high steer, I have the old school dual shocks, one in front and one in back, I however am wanting to upgrade to high steer and will most likely be eliminating the front shock soon.

OP
OP
T

tdc_worm

Loc.
Austin
broncobowsher--great description... that clears things up quite a bit.

jerrod--also a good point with the steering, i didn't realize that.

i have however, reluctantly, decided to do exactly everything that 76Broncofromhell says to my build. i lack the individuality to make decisions for myself, and even though i can afford to spend my money how i want to, he has informed me that i am incapable of rational thought. on second thoughts, i think i am still going to spend my money how i want to and i will just have to accept that i want be in his cool club.

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
This is about dual shocks - which is really a stupid topic to get your panties in a twist over.

Spending the extra $400+ to gain the additional shock up front will add a certain degree of functionality to your rig that will be unparalleled. OR you could listen to people on the board who actually know something and tell you that it is entirely unnecessary to put dual shocks up front. You want a street queen, I get it. Might I suggest chrome shocks to really show you mean business?

It's cool though. You can take suggestions off the internet as personal attacks if that's all you have in your life. Have fun and let me know where to send that box of tissue!

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
It sounds like he's not looking for what works best, but trying to justify dual shocks up front, and which hoop to buy. Get the protofab hoop from WH so you can run em in front or behind the coil. You can even run 3 per side if you want.

OP
OP
T

tdc_worm

Loc.
Austin
This is about dual shocks - which is really a stupid topic to get your panties in a twist over.

Spending the extra $400+ to gain the additional shock up front will add a certain degree of functionality to your rig that will be unparalleled. OR you could listen to people on the board who actually know something and tell you that it is entirely unnecessary to put dual shocks up front. You want a street queen, I get it. Might I suggest chrome shocks to really show you mean business?

It's cool though. You can take suggestions off the internet as personal attacks if that's all you have in your life. Have fun and let me know where to send that box of tissue!

if you would have taken the time to read my initial post instead of blasting off what you know, you may have found that i was asking a different question than you answered. as a matter of fact, i supported the common knowledge that dual shocks are not necessary in that same post. additionally, recognizing that as a general fact, i asked for people like you to save your breath...but i guess people like you don't feel it necessary to answer the question that is asked.

whether or not it is a waste of money is all relative to the goal in mind. the way you spend your money is justified by achieving your desired end result... yours may be to have an axle that can articulate so much that it turns upside down. i say cool, go for it. apparently, you are omniscient enough to know exactly what i am doing. that being said, i will placate you for a moment. i have a 73 that i am building with that ultimate goal of articulation in mind. if it makes you feel any better, that one is on its way to being full width with single shock mounts--likely of the f250 flavor.

you nailed it on the head, my 77 will be, for the most part, a street truck. you would probably be the first person to tell me that a paint job is a waste of money, so i will be the first to tell you that it will have a paint job on it also...functional? not really. will it make it look better? maybe. but along with the waste of money on my paint job for my pavement pounder, i am considering wasting money on dual shocks because i just happen to like the way the look.

there, are you happy? now can i be part of your cool club?

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
Where's the popcorn eating smily when you need it.....

popcorn.gif

PsYcHoBrOnCo

Loc.
Fort Worth, Tx
In the statement given here, I do not see how you think 76Bronc was bashing your ride in anyway. He was merely giving you a statistical statement. With 9 posts in to your voyage here on the site, this is no way to start making friends. This is just my opinion please don't sarcastically bash me.....

Last edited:

FASTERDAMITT

Loc.
Oceanside
Back to the basics. If you have limitations on single shock diameter and fluid capacity, then a dual shock setup will perform better longer simply because the shocks will be valved lighter (if you get the correct shocks) and therefore run cooler and perform better. I would not run duals unles they are a very light valving. Inexpensive shocks will not identify the valving unfortunatly.