• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Frozen H block tip

vfltennessee

Decided to re-center the valve in the H block to get the brake warning light to turn off. Pretty easy until the time came to pull the valve and clean out the block - FROZEN! Anyway, after PB blasting and tugging several times, decided to get it out the hydraulic way. Plugged four of the side holes with brass plugs and the remaining passenger side hole with a male/female fitting. Unscrewed the tip off the grease gun and threaded it into the m/f fitting. One pump on the gun and the valve came right out. Thought this might be useful to someone trying to do the same. Beats buying a new/used block!

Attachments

• IMG_1540.jpg
    IMG_1540.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 157
  • FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 151

sanndmann3

Bronco Guru
Great tip! Need to remember this as my darn warning light is on as well... :)

hankjr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Perfect! I did the same to push out stick caliper pistons when I built the FJ40. Worked slicker than...

Hank

bulletpruf

Contributor
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
Who sells correct H blocks? Doesn't need to be concours, but I'd rather not get a universal fit one. I'm working on a crusty '69 with 4 wheel drums.

Thanks

hankjr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks, I appreciate it.

no problem. if you happen to go the rebuild route, ping me as i have a bag of the right orings for the job. had to buy like 50 to get the 2 i needed

Hank

bulletpruf

Contributor
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
no problem. if you happen to go the rebuild route, ping me as i have a bag of the right orings for the job. had to buy like 50 to get the 2 i needed

Hank

I haven't figured out what route I'm going yet, but with a new H block being that expensive, a rebuild sounds mighty fine. What's involved? Cleaning it out and replacing the o-rings?

Thanks

Scott

hankjr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I haven't figured out what route I'm going yet, but with a new H block being that expensive, a rebuild sounds mighty fine. What's involved? Cleaning it out and replacing the o-rings?

Thanks

Scott

yes its pretty straight forward. get good and clean and new orings. clean brake fluid to lube on reassembly. clean the outside based on your particular level of OCD

Hank

LUBr LuvR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Decided to re-center the valve in the H block to get the brake warning light to turn off. Pretty easy until the time came to pull the valve and clean out the block - FROZEN! Anyway, after PB blasting and tugging several times, decided to get it out the hydraulic way. Plugged four of the side holes with brass plugs and the remaining passenger side hole with a male/female fitting. Unscrewed the tip off the grease gun and threaded it into the m/f fitting. One pump on the gun and the valve came right out. Thought this might be useful to someone trying to do the same. Beats buying a new/used block!

Anyone know the thread sizes on the male/female fitting used to attach the grease gun? Can always bring along the H-block and tip from the grease gun.

4xfun

what is the oring size. Hopefully I will never need to know, but with my luck, it will be tomorrow.