• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

FSB??: 5.8 Factory Oil Coolers??

u10072

Bronco Guru
Hello All,
I figured someone on here can help me with my 96 Bronco oil cooler. The cooler is leaking-- not terribly but its decent and I am wanting it to stop. After going to the ford store they dont sell the o-rings separately just the cooler and those are about $300 or about $200 off ebay. So I am thinking there are about (5) options-- 1. Find an o-ring that fits- which may or may not happen 2. clean really well and use some Right Stuff to act as a new o-ring (which kind of makes sense now that I think about it) 3. scrap the whole thing and go with a regular filter and lower radiator hose. 4. put on a new cooler housing - which I am about 99% sure I dont want to do. 5. live with the leak. 6. put in an after market cooler and run it as a fluid to air cooler.

Thanks for the help,
Mat

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I had a cooler off a 2.3 turbo I wanted to use. Needed the non-existing O-ring that is probably the same as you needed. I used one from a hardware store for a water filter. Today you can find better fit O-rings on Amazon. They have a really good O-ring finder that lets you sort by ID, OD, thickness, durometer, material, quantity, etc. I needed an odd O-ring for a jet drive. Found a 25 pack exactly what I needed for 50¢ with free shipping.

OP
OP
u10072

u10072

Bronco Guru
Its just the downtime that sucks more than having to get the o-ring--- ahhhh :)

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I know there is at least one orang supplier in Phoenix area, had to chase an oring for a c4 build. Can't remember the name of the place but they do exist.

Ok, try these guys

http://www.azseal.com

welndmn

Bronco Guru
The oil cooler was a HD towing option on the trucks, I've not seen one on a bronco, but I'm just they'd put one on for a customer.
If it were me, I'd just unbold the whole thing and put a normal oil filter on it.

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
Many late-production high-trim Broncos got unnecessary options like that oil cooler or a block heater. Your best move is to delete it for the common non-optioned parts. But you should be able to seal the cooler's old O-ring with RightStuff if you let it skin over & set up JUST a little before fully tightening it to the block.

baddad457

Leaking oil cooler ? Remove it, get the correct lower radiator hose for a 302 w/o the cooler. Some coolers use the FL-820S filter which has metric threads, the threaded bushing behind the cooler has the same threads that fit an FL-1A. If you want a longer filter, use an FL-299 instead of the FL-1A. My 96 E150 van uses the Fl-1A with it's cooler. I had a 95 F150 that used the FL-820S with the cooler.