• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Fuel gauge still reads full?

Blue71

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I just put the tank back in my '77 with new sending unit. I put 4 gallons of gas in it and it reads full when the ignition switch is on. You can switch to aux. (tank not installed yet) and the gauge goes to "E" as it should. Switch back to Main tank and it goes all the way to "F" again. I grounded it good and even regrounded it. Any ideas?<br><br>Thanks Much,<br><br>Blue71

Newt

Pull the tank while you only have 4 gallons in it. Check the resistance on the sending unit. There was a post not long ago which gave the ohms for empty & full. Just because the sending unit is new, doesn't mean it's right. Ford sending unit's suck anyway.

flint_knapper

BRONCO GOD
Loc.
Harvest, AL
when you pull the unit hook it up and make sure<br>that you can get the gage to swing from one level to the other and hold in between.

Jeepster

Bronco Guru
I had a unit stick once on a blazer when I installed a new tank. Drove it around a little, seemed that the jostling around freed it up. Just a thought.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Unplug the wire from the sending unit. If the gauge drops to E then it is the sending unit. If it stays full, then you probably pinched the wire.