• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Fuel sender rear tank

OP
OP
savage

savage

Contributor
Bronco Nut
Loc.
Renton
Yep, gotcha.
But those kinds of changes often come through the pipeline unannounced, and unknown until someone at the other end brings it to our attention.
Meaning that as often as we try to keep up to date on the photos, things slip past all the time.
Heck, even when we are aware of it, sometimes it can take a week or three to get the new photos in the pipeline.

Just me being overly cautious I suppose.
Maybe we are still going through older inventory that was made to the older, longer specifications.
I hear you. Once I get healed up from my knee replacements, I want to replace the tank with a larger one. But till then, I don't want the wife to run out of gas (Happy wife happy life) just kidding don't teller her I said that;)

OP
OP
savage

savage

Contributor
Bronco Nut
Loc.
Renton
Well Paul, it was a long arm on the float. It did take some tweaking to get it in the ohms range, but we got it close. I'll install it this weekend to see how close I got it.

Attachments

• DSCN2846.JPG
    DSCN2846.JPG
    87.2 KB · Views: 10
  • DSCN2847.JPG
    DSCN2847.JPG
    105.5 KB · Views: 9

MarsChariot

Contributor
Planetary Offroader
Loc.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
To be clear on what you mean by "tweaking", are you referring to bending the swing arm up or down? I ask because the ohm range is set by the max-min travel allowable on the unit, which often is incorrect, and cannot be twaeked. I wish it were. Do you mean you know where the full tank position and empty positions of the arm are suppose to be?

OP
OP
savage

savage

Contributor
Bronco Nut
Loc.
Renton
To be clear on what you mean by "tweaking", are you referring to bending the swing arm up or down? I ask because the ohm range is set by the max-min travel allowable on the unit, which often is incorrect, and cannot be twaeked. I wish it were. Do you mean you know where the full tank position and empty positions of the arm are suppose to be?
I did bend the swing arm down by the stop points, first to get my ohms close which I got 10.9 to 73.9 ohms, and then bent the arm up by the s-bend to get my empty and full close. I match the swing with my old sender.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I’m glad the part arrived as expected.
Whew!😁👍🏼

When I got my 71 it would only reach 3/4 full on the gauge and went well below empty on both tanks.
Bought brand new sending units from the Ford dealer (this was back in the late 70s) and they read exactly the same when connected to my wiring.
I went through the same routine on both the originals and the new ones, bending and tweaking. Not only the arm, but the stops themselves a little bit.
Mostly where the rods passed over the stops and got them to read perfectly.

Ended up reusing the originals and they never varied from that perfect reading as long as I had them.
So mine was probably slightly off right from the factory. But after tweaking the gauge read exactly where I liked. Just slightly over full when I topped the tank off and slightly under empty when they were bone dry.

Personally I would test your newly adjusted sending unit out of the tank manually.
Save you the trouble of having to remove and re-tweak things if it doesn’t read perfectly with your 50 year old gauge and wiring.

OP
OP
savage

savage

Contributor
Bronco Nut
Loc.
Renton
I’m glad the part arrived as expected.
Whew!😁👍🏼

When I got my 71 it would only reach 3/4 full on the gauge and went well below empty on both tanks.
Bought brand new sending units from the Ford dealer (this was back in the late 70s) and they read exactly the same when connected to my wiring.
I went through the same routine on both the originals and the new ones, bending and tweaking. Not only the arm, but the stops themselves a little bit.
Mostly where the rods passed over the stops and got them to read perfectly.

Ended up reusing the originals and they never varied from that perfect reading as long as I had them.
So mine was probably slightly off right from the factory. But after tweaking the gauge read exactly where I liked. Just slightly over full when I topped the tank off and slightly under empty when they were bone dry.

Personally I would test your newly adjusted sending unit out of the tank manually.
Save you the trouble of having to remove and re-tweak things if it doesn’t read perfectly with your 50 year old gauge and wiring.
The sender was reading correct for empty ohms but was way off on full ohms. I first tweaked it with ohm meter, then went out and checked it on the gauge (factory one) and then the auto meter gauge that I installed, since I only have the one tank, I hooked my gauges to the tank switch so I can switch from one to another, I match the arm swing to my old sender, so we'll see how close it is.

OP
OP
savage

savage

Contributor
Bronco Nut
Loc.
Renton
Well got the new sender in and it reads a little over after refill the tank and wright on empty when tank was drained. So, I'm happy with that and that's on my autometer gauge and it's dead on the factory gauge.

OP
OP
savage

savage

Contributor
Bronco Nut
Loc.
Renton
The fuel sender was from Wildhorse, the web site showed it as the long float arm, but talking to Paul he was not sure if it would have the long float arm, but it ended up being the long arm. I did have to play around to get the full ohms close, by bending the arm where it contacted the stop and not messing up the empty ohms at the same time! Paul said it might be smart to call them to check that it is the long float arm before ordering.

OP
OP
savage

savage

Contributor
Bronco Nut
Loc.
Renton
Hey Paul, I bought the wrench to install the sender, it was so easy now to take on and off, great product!!!

Attachments

• DSCN2859.JPG
    DSCN2859.JPG
    193 KB · Views: 4

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What! No more hammers and screwdrivers? Where is the adventure? Where is the struggle? Where are the skinned knuckles! :)😩😁🙄😉😎👍🏼

There are just some tools that, even if you only use them once or twice in your life, were totally worth it.