• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Gave her the gas, she gave me a tick!!

KANE

Loc.
Pembroke, MA.
Well....last week before the crap weather came I took her out for a ride, now as all of you know when the weather is colder these things like to run, And I'm a sucker for a carbureted 351, headers and cold weather!!
Needless to say I opted for a fly by and I was heavy in the RPMs and notice a noise...like a tick but not a valve or a lifter. When I got home I noticed it seemed to come from the carb? I think it may be the diaphragm attached to the carb with the springs in it. I wiggled the rod and started it again and it wasn't as loud but still there. An hour later I moved it in the garage and it was quiet??
BTW, It has a Holley 4160 Carb..

Has anyone had this happen to them?

Thanks!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Never to me. Not sure what was going on.
Did you try wiggling the lever/arm/thingy while it was running and still making the noise? Just to make sure that was in fact what was making the noise.

Paul

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Sounds like a cracked exhaust to me. I've heard them where they only talk when warmed up. As they cool off they shrink shut. Headers can crack.

Bronco4x4

Also a loose exhaust clamp (at pipe near front) can cause a tick sound. Had one one my BCB 2:1 kit. I also had to adjust valves for some ticking as well.

OP
OP
KANE

KANE

Loc.
Pembroke, MA.
Thanks for your comments! So I checked headers and all exhaust connections and no leaks. It almost sounded like something flapping but more under a load and seemed to come from the carb....weird....I'm gonna run it again when the weather is better and see how my oil pressure is. It was fine the whole time it was making the noise, weird it went away. I may take that spring thing/diaphragm holder off and see what it looks like inside...just a strange thing. I've smoked a couple motors in my past and know how ugly and messy that is....thankfully it wasn't that!

OP
OP
KANE

KANE

Loc.
Pembroke, MA.
Never to me. Not sure what was going on.
Did you try wiggling the lever/arm/thingy while it was running and still making the noise? Just to make sure that was in fact what was making the noise.

Paul

I moved it when it was off first. Seemed quieter and tried while it was running and didn't seem to change much more. 20 minutes later the noise was almost gone...

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I know you said it sounds like the tick is coming from the carb, but I'd still suspect a sticky lifter.
This can happen when you get a bit of varnish in there, and it gets stuck when you rev the engine past its norm.
You can usually free it up by using one of the pushrods like a straw and squirt lacquer thinner or ChemTool down into the lifter, and pump the lifter with the push rod.

OP
OP
KANE

KANE

Loc.
Pembroke, MA.
I know you said it sounds like the tick is coming from the carb, but I'd still suspect a sticky lifter.
This can happen when you get a bit of varnish in there, and it gets stuck when you rev the engine past its norm.
You can usually free it up by using one of the pushrods like a straw and squirt lacquer thinner or ChemTool down into the lifter, and pump the lifter with the push rod.
Ok thanks I'll look for that...would I only hear that when over revved?

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
Mike, had a baffle break a weld in one of my valve covers before....was intermittent. Grab the cover when it's making the noise and squeeze....made the noise go away. Just a thought....FIX MY TRUCK ALREADY!

OP
OP
KANE

KANE

Loc.
Pembroke, MA.
Mike, had a baffle break a weld in one of my valve covers before....was intermittent. Grab the cover when it's making the noise and squeeze....made the noise go away. Just a thought....FIX MY TRUCK ALREADY!

I'll check that out. Thanks Man!